Mobileread
Make annotations using Calibre?
#1  quamquam 03-03-2013, 01:19 AM
I have searched the Calibre FAQs and this forum but have found no answer to my question. Is there any way to add annotation functionality to Calibre?

I know that Calibre can import annotations from, say, the Kindle. But I would love to be able to make annotations using the reader built into the Calibre library itself.

Is there any way to do this?

#2  kovidgoyal 03-03-2013, 01:27 AM
no .

#3  basilv 12-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Are there any plans to add this functionality?

There are several books I'd love to add highlights, notes, dissections, etc. to while reading in the Calibre reader.

Annotations and Highlighting would be a really great feature.

btw: I love Calibre. Thank you for all the work you've done.

#4  eschwartz 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM
I believe it is on Kovid's long-term to-do list (he'll correct me if I'm wrong).

In other words, yes but maybe not for years, depending on what else he has on his mind.

#5  theducks 12-13-2013, 04:07 PM
How can you do Annotations (based upon highlighting or otherwise) when the are no Standards for interoperability
Think Amazon vs Apple vs Adobe vs Kobo

No way do these folk want you using someone elses device

#6  eschwartz 12-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Quote theducks
How can you do Annotations (based upon highlighting or otherwise) when the are no Standards for interoperability
Think Amazon vs Apple vs Adobe vs Kobo

No way do these folk want you using someone elses device
using calibre's standards and calibre as your reader

#7  theducks 12-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Quote eschwartz
using calibre's standards and calibre as your reader
Calibre does not run on my Kindle
Calibre does not run on my TAB2
Calibre does not run on mY Astak
Calibre does not run on my Phone

Calibre is a Library Manager 1st
Calibre is a conversion tool 2nd

Calibre is Not a primary reading device (I can' t hold up a 22" monitor for more than a few minutes and the Keyboard always ends up under the Cat making page turns impossible)

(That is Sebastian who used to fit in my slipper)
DSCN0779.JPG 

#8  eschwartz 12-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Obviously there won't be compatibility with your devices, the same way they can't handle custom columns, series, calibre bookmarks, comments (sometimes), and many other things calibre can do. What's your point?

#9  basilv 12-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Calibre IS my primary reader. Plus, I wouldn't dream of writing up detailed dissections while on a handheld/mobile.

I like to relax in my easychair, with my lappy, and read and take notes in Calibre.

Adding highlights and annotes to the Calibre reader would be top on MY personal list of prios. No idea what Kovid's prios are, but I hope my plea makes an impression on him. Heck, for all we know this could be a very quick and easy add-on. I'd even be happy with the reader stuffing a tertiary annotes_bookxyz.txt file. Doesn't have to be embedded in the book itself... Anyway, I hope it does happen someday.

#10  jackie_w 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM
@basilv,

Despite what may or may not come in the future you could always add a .TXT format file for each book you want to make notes on. By opening both formats at the same time (epub in the Viewer, TXT in your TXT editor) add your cogitations into it as you read. I'm pretty sure you can copy/paste from Viewer to TXT editor.

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register