Mobileread
E-reader/eBook platform wanted as a tool to help learning languages
#1  Cr4zyH3nk13 03-21-2020, 10:36 AM
Hey Everyone!

Stay safe and watch your hygiene. I hope all is well wherever you are.

I've been looking into eReaders and eBooks for the past week and I've been able to find lots of information regarding brands, technologies and devices.

The thing that's still unclear for me is language availability.

The most important requirement for me is that it should be easy for me to obtain the foreign language editions of an eBook.

That the device I get has the ability to natively, or through some simple actions, support foreign scripts is something I'm confident I can research myself. Tips would of course still be appreciated.

As far as I've been able to determine myself, the google books store gives me the ability to search for the foreign titles of books. The only thing I worry about is the library.

If anyone could give me a hand regarding non-english eBook platforms, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently learning Spanish and will learn Portuguese afterwards.
I can't predict the future, but I think I wont learn Russian of Mandarin in the foreseeable future.

A big thank you in advance!

#2  Cr4zyH3nk13 03-25-2020, 04:04 AM
Found one! I'm getting the Kobo Clara HD. Their store gives you the option to set your region and language. So you can for example set the to Belgium (This has to be where you live most of the time) and the language to Spanish so that you can purchase Spanish language books.

#3  HolyAura 03-25-2020, 04:39 AM
Quote Cr4zyH3nk13
Found one! I'm getting the Kobo Clara HD. Their store gives you the option to set your region and language. So you can for example set the to Belgium (This has to be where you live most of the time) and the language to Spanish so that you can purchase Spanish language books.
Nice! I also have the Clara. You'll definitely enjoy it. Congratulations on finding the ereader for yourself. Have a good time reading!

#4  Richwood 04-17-2020, 01:36 PM
Amazon USA lists ebooks in foreign languages that can be purchased for the Kindle for a number of popular authors. Current Kindles list about 11 language choices as well as 20+ keyboards for different languages and countries. Also lists quite a few dual language dictionaries. Your profile does not list a country so no idea if you can use Amazon USA.

#5  Quoth 04-17-2020, 04:25 PM
Google books/playstore has a lot of pirated books, still. Also many pirated books are PDFs (Scans + OCR)
Gutenberg has non-English public Domain. I wish I COULD read French, German etc. Der Golem in German is PD, not the English Translation.
There are ways to load Amazon ebooks into Calibre and convert to ePub2 for the kobo Clara. I use an actual Kindle as target but select Download to PC. It's a bit more fraught on Linux if you don't own an eink Kindle (a Fire is really an Android Tablet, not a Kindle), or even on Windows to use PC Kindle as target.

#6  DaleDe 04-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Google will translate for you if you wish.

#7  Quoth 04-18-2020, 06:18 AM
Google Translate is brute force giant database with crowd sourced corrections. It's only safe for use to your native language. And on some languages it's obviously rubbish having only used a narrow selection of documents in two languages supposed to be the same and usually only particular usage (e.g. EU) and used that for the so called Training / Machine Learning.

It's abysmal at fiction and older versions of languages. I'd sooner buy a professional translation of Der Golem. I have it on my wish list.

#8  Yoko22 05-25-2020, 08:48 AM
Why do you want to learn french exactly, what books would you read? I'm a native french speaker but I always read in English, I haven't found many french books appealing. I have been reading English so much that when I have a french book I feel like it's confusing and unclear. I find English so much easier to understand, there is something weird in the french language that I don't like, it's convoluted and overly complex for no good reason.

The French community I feel don't have good writer as it used to have back in 1800 or 1700, or even 1900, maybe I don't search enough in french either but I find the US more innovative.

I'm trying to learn Japanese now as I'm getting bored a bit by the US culture and the Japanese culture seems more purposeful, less chaotic crazy.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register