Mobileread
E-reader price trend
#11  ottischwenk 10-23-2020, 04:03 PM
Quote menpe
Exactly this segment, the €200-€250 range, disappeared these days. The Mars was a great value device and most of the freshly released 8" devices were positioned to this part of the market 2 years ago. I wrote my rant after I saw the price of the new Nova 3 but the Nova 2 was already over the €300 line without a cut-down version later. Giving more for more money is not exactly the best technological advancement in my dictionary especially when the gains are not even that meaningful.
?
The Mars costs € 225

#12  JSWolf 10-23-2020, 04:23 PM
Quote menpe
Exactly this segment, the €200-€250 range, disappeared these days. The Mars was a great value device and most of the freshly released 8" devices were positioned to this part of the market 2 years ago. I wrote my rant after I saw the price of the new Nova 3 but the Nova 2 was already over the €300 line without a cut-down version later. Giving more for more money is not exactly the best technological advancement in my dictionary especially when the gains are not even that meaningful.

I can only tell about my situation.

I've never said it is the best option but surely is enough. If it would not suffice the needs then there would be no 6" Kindles anymore.
I use my 8" device for light novels, barely any different for me than my first 6" Nook. If somebody gets annoyed by the more frequent page turns, then that's their use case.
If you do want a 6" Reader, the Kobo Clara HD is cheaper then the PW4 (with ads). Kobo just has better prices then Amazon.

#13  menpe 10-24-2020, 04:51 AM
Quote ottischwenk
?
The Mars costs € 225
2 years old technology without any discount. This segment won't see any improvement anymore with one old-ish device in it.

Quote JSWolf
If you do want a 6" Reader, the Kobo Clara HD is cheaper then the PW4 (with ads). Kobo just has better prices then Amazon.
Thank you for your feedback, but please let this thread go without your Kobo mantra. As I said before, a device without Android could be free, it would not be useful for me. That's why I wrote to the Onyx topic, not the Kobo or the general topic.

#14  JSWolf 10-24-2020, 06:08 AM
What's the minimum version of Android does the app you want to use to read manga need?

#15  Galunid 10-24-2020, 06:20 AM
Thank you for your feedback, but please let this thread go without your Kobo mantra. As I said before, a device without Android could be free, it would not be useful for me. That's why I wrote to the Onyx topic, not the Kobo or the general topic.
In that same manner, this shouldn't be Onyx topic, since you're discussing eink devices in general. That's kind of hypocritical if you ask me

But to answer your original post:
With onyx devices we are talking mostly about eink tablets. Lenovo TAB 4 8 Plus 64GB that has identical CPU as Nova 2 and same amount of RAM is ~20$ cheaper than Nova 2, at least in my country. To be fair, I don't think eink devices are overpriced. Personally I'd rather get a decent device that works out of the box and I don't have tinker with it too much, than something for half the price, where I have to spend days getting things to work. That's why Kindle is one of the main competitors in the ereader market. They make solid device that "just works". That's why people are willing to pay for "premium" devices. In the end you can charge as much as you want, as longs as there are people willing to pay that price, no?

P.S
If you want android on Kobo, you can check out Tolino devices, since the only difference between the two is that Tolino runs android.

#16  ottischwenk 10-24-2020, 06:53 AM
Quote menpe
2 years old technology without any discount. This segment won't see any improvement anymore with one old-ish device in it.
Device development costs a lot - and Likebook Mars recently got the update to android 8.1.
And there is nothing newer - there is no newer display technology in 7.8 inches.
And the other hardware is completely sufficient for this requirement.
Your allegations are absurd.

#17  bazz2004 10-24-2020, 09:11 AM
ottischwenk, you always defend Boyue as if they could do no wrong. Is there nothing they need to work on? Support is poor, scheduled updates are usually delayed. Their devices remain buggy and hard to master. You would probably say it's down to covid issues and a failure of buyers to master their devices. For what they and their competitors charge it's reasonable to expect better.

#18  Question Mark 10-24-2020, 10:22 AM
Quote JSWolf
Lots of people on the forum who have tried a 7" Reader have found it a better reading experience to a 6" Reader. While my H2O is only 6.8", it's still better then a 6" Reader. For those people who you say a 6" Reader is enough have not tried 7".
Despite having tried virtually all of the various sizes of ereaders (and still having a good few of them), I prefer reading on my Hisense eink phone. Unless, of course, I am reading a PDF or a manga or sketching/taking notes in which case I prefer the 7.8" or 10.3" screen size of my Onyx devices.

The Hisense A5 and A5 Pro CC just feel so much snappier compared to my other devices. They are certainly more portable. Although I seldom use the camera, it can be convenient for taking a picture of text in a foreign language and then using OCR software to translate it. Although I just tap the screen to turn pages, one could map the physical buttons to do so...

I suspect that if more people were to try an eink phone, then they might become the preferred size for simple reading. There is just so much to recommend them. It might also cut down on the number of devices one has to cart about because it could also be used as a phone for those so inclined.

As for my original Kobo Aura and my KA1, I now only turn them on once in a blue moon to install updates and check on their batteries to keep them healthy.

#19  ottischwenk 10-24-2020, 11:41 AM
Quote bazz2004
ottischwenk, you always defend Boyue as if they could do no wrong. Is there nothing they need to work on? Support is poor, scheduled updates are usually delayed. Their devices remain buggy and hard to master. You would probably say it's down to covid issues and a failure of buyers to master their devices. For what they and their competitors charge it's reasonable to expect better.
It is very simple:
Boyue-Likebook and Onyx-Boox are the only EInk tablet manufacturers, although I prefer Likebook in the 7.8 and 10.3 inch segment, as they are far superior in the file system area.
Of course, there are users who cannot or hardly get along with such devices - but that is not due to the "faulty" device or the "sloppy" manufacturer.
Oh yes, whenever I turned to Boyue-Likebook, an answer came after a maximum of 2 days

#20  menpe 10-24-2020, 12:27 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Device development costs a lot - and Likebook Mars recently got the update to android 8.1.
And there is nothing newer - there is no newer display technology in 7.8 inches.
And the other hardware is completely sufficient for this requirement.
Your allegations are absurd.
My standards might be flawed but for me technological development means giving a little more for the same price or giving the same for less money as time goes. Giving a little more for more money caused this whole situation where the 8" category went from the €220-€250 to the €330 range in just 2 generations. Widening the gap every year created this exact hole I talk about. I am perfectly aware that the 6" category will fill this by getting more and more expensive each year instead of the basic 8" devices, and that is the reason I vented my thoughts here. It's hard to see that the pinnacle of this segment is a 2018 reader and there is little hope this will change.
I didn't upgrade to the 2018 lineup 2 years ago because I didn't feel like the gains worth the extra purchase compared my older device. Why would I buy the same thing 2 years later? For €150? I might think about it again but without competition in this range the companies are not forced to lower prices even for last-last gen devices. Just bump the release price up again and baam, in 2023, the Nova 5 will start at €450.

Quote JSWolf
What's the minimum version of Android does the app you want to use to read manga need?
The last version of Tachiyomi requires Android 5. Right now I use a tinkered 2018 version of the app where the required sdk level was manually lowered in order to work on Android 4.0.4. It was not an easy task but kinda works right now without the ability to update ongoing titles.
For completes series where the format is CBZ most of the times, Android is not a requirement but for ongoing titles, it's a must. The current trend of v8.1 or v9 upgrades are not that important but having a closed ecosystem is a really hard sell for me.

Quote Galunid
If you want android on Kobo, you can check out Tolino devices, since the only difference between the two is that Tolino runs android.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check their availability out.
I have a tablet too, 10" Asus which is great for colored pages and webtoon. As I read before bedtime, the difference is very noticeable between LCD and E-ink. The former makes it harder to fall asleep right after the session while the latter is amazing. This is why I don't even consider a new tablet, only e-ink devices are in my scope.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register