Mobileread
Update to firmware V3.0 for older devices
#81  ottischwenk 11-24-2020, 01:19 PM
Quote rantanplan
Android is the OS. They updated their customizations and apparently backported them to Android 6 but they didn't do any OS updates besides security updates.
Boox refers to the surface as OS.
For Android 6 there is OS 2.x.y, for Android 9 OS 3, ....

#82  james_ 11-26-2020, 10:42 AM
Quote jilgo
anyone know if this can work with the first onyx boox note?
Thanks
Yes it should. I'm running a Note Plus and that's effectively the same hardware (except for the front flush bezel) as the original Note (which I also had but which died due to battery troubles).

You should be able to do an OTA update to get your device to the latest firmware and then install the reader and note packages in this thread and that effectively (as far as I can see) gives you pretty much everyting useful for the 3.0 install, except for the split screen for apps.

I was thinking of upgrading my device, but I'm not sure it is worth it. Sure, it will be faster to load stuff, and some apps will now work, but the original Note and Note Plus don't have a backlight, so you should gain in terms of weight saving, robustness, screen clarity and writing experience compared to the later models.

#83  jilgo 11-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Quote james_
Yes it should. I'm running a Note Plus and that's effectively the same hardware (except for the front flush bezel) as the original Note (which I also had but which died due to battery troubles).

You should be able to do an OTA update to get your device to the latest firmware and then install the reader and note packages in this thread and that effectively (as far as I can see) gives you pretty much everyting useful for the 3.0 install, except for the split screen for apps.

I was thinking of upgrading my device, but I'm not sure it is worth it. Sure, it will be faster to load stuff, and some apps will now work, but the original Note and Note Plus don't have a backlight, so you should gain in terms of weight saving, robustness, screen clarity and writing experience compared to the later models.

Thanks a lot. I have finally installed the new apps and they work on the boox note. I'm very happy

#84  Markismus 11-26-2020, 12:59 PM
Did anyone else notice that the dictionary didn’t work anymore after installing knote and kreader apk’s? If that the case we should port more from v3.0. At least the dictionary app. IIRC, v3.0 is supposed to allow 3rd party dictionaries to be used. So it would not be that strange that it the new apk’s need code that the v2.3.1 dictionary app can’t provide.

#85  baljo 11-26-2020, 01:28 PM
Quote Markismus
Did anyone else notice that the dictionary didn’t work anymore after installing knote and kreader apk’s? If that the case we should port more from v3.0. At least the dictionary app. IIRC, v3.0 is supposed to allow 3rd party dictionaries to be used. So it would not be that strange that it the new apk’s need code that the v2.3.1 dictionary app can’t provide.
Seems to work for me. What is not working is translate (getting an error message "Unfortunately system UI has stopped). Same happens when I have a document and notes side by side, draw something and then clicks on the arrow left button to close the notes. Then I need to reboot the whole device to be able to use it.
Edit: Rebooting might not be needed everytime, once I needed to do it though

Do you btw have the old versions of knote and kreader available in case I'd like to downgrade, if downgrading even is possible?

#86  Markismus 11-26-2020, 02:17 PM
I’ll post them later this evening.

Before upgrading they can also be found in the system>applications folder that you can browse with Total Commander. (That’s why they were not uploaded yet.)

#87  baljo 11-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Great, I'll grab them once you've uploaded them!
I still hope Onyx decides to upgrade these older devices with Android 6, at least with new versions of the apps.

#88  Markismus 11-26-2020, 05:02 PM
Well, since a beta for the Nova Pro is being tested by @Sevenlives, it seems rather probable.

Anyways, I put them at the same location as before.

#89  baljo 11-27-2020, 02:55 AM
Quote Markismus
Well, since a beta for the Nova Pro is being tested by @Sevenlives, it seems rather probable.

Anyways, I put them at the same location as before.
Oh, did not know that Nova Pro is similar as the Max 2 (not Pro) that I have. Have not followed all the product lines.

Thx anyway for the original 2.2.2 versions, I've now grabbed them!

#90  Markismus 11-27-2020, 03:19 AM
@baljo All three share the Android 6 system. So even if no update would come for the Note Pro and the Max 2, we would be able to share all packages with the beta of the Nova Pro.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (9/14)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register