Mobileread
Boox Nova Pro - initial thoughts and some questions
#1  Lparsons21 12-24-2019, 09:02 PM
I just got this today in my seemingly never ending quest for a really good e-ink Android tablet. Came with Android 6 but their ad shows upgrading to Android 9 soon.

But regardless of that update, the home screen isn’t anything to get excited about. It works OK and got better when I fiddled with it a lot. It came with a little brochure that is the start guide, but the size and fonts make it less than useful.

Installed my 3 ebook apps, Kindle, Nook and Scribd on it. Oddly the Nook app doesn’t appear on the home screen at all, so I just ran it from the Play Store and never close the app. Anyone have a clue about how to get the Nook app icon on the App screen?

The little floating quick action button is slick as can be once I actually found out about it. But one oddity with the Nova is that when you pop up the multi-task screen it sometimes shows the top menu of the main screen and other times doesn’t. The only way it shows that in the multi-task screen is if I’m coming from the Nook app. If I’m reading in either Kindle or Scribd it and pop that screen up the top main stuff isn’t visible, nor does there seem to be a way to have that portion of the screen show while in the Kindle or Scribd apps, only in the Nook app. I really would like that to show up better or have some way to get back to the main screen easier.

The screen is wonderful! And the ability to mix white and yellow lights to get what I find more pleasing is great. Readability is excellent though the Scribd’s fonts are a little lighter than in Kindle or Nook.

Currently I have this Nova Pro, a 2017 Oasis and Nook Glowlight Plus, all within a return window. The plan is to fiddle with all 3 over the next few days to determine which I’ll keep. The big pluses for the Nova Pro is it will run all my ereader apps with an excellent screen and while not quite as fast as the Nook and Oasis, is plenty fast enough.

The downside is mostly that it is more expensive and doesn’t run the apps quite as smoothly as do the dedicated readers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#2  ottischwenk 12-25-2019, 04:25 AM
Quote Lparsons21
Currently I have this Nova Pro, a 2017 Oasis and Nook Glowlight Plus, all within a return window.
Do it - and look for Likebook Ares.

#3  Lparsons21 12-25-2019, 06:16 AM
Quote ottischwenk
Do it - and look for Likebook Ares.
Thanks for the suggestion but I’m not interested in any Likebook. I have a Mars and am not happy with its performance nor Boyue’s lack of support.

#4  downeaster59 12-25-2019, 06:25 AM
Interesting that your Nook app icon is invisible on your app screen. After the last firmware update, that happened to me as well. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Still, no icon in Apps. The Nook app doesn't show up in the list of apps I could start up using the Navigation Ball, either. I don't have a clue as to what's going on, either.

#5  Lparsons21 12-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Yeah, been there. I uninstalled and re-installed from the Play store as well as from Google’s Play store and still nothing!
Hopefully the next update will fix the issue.

#6  ottischwenk 12-25-2019, 10:04 AM
Quote Lparsons21
Yeah, been there. I uninstalled and re-installed from the Play store as well as from Google’s Play store and still nothing!
Hopefully the next update will fix the issue.
I have no problems with NOOK Read eBooks Magazines_v5.1.0.27.apk on my Liekbook Ares and got much more useful updates from Boyue than from Onyx.
But as you like it.

#7  Lparsons21 12-25-2019, 10:09 AM
Quote ottischwenk
I have no problems with NOOK Read eBooks Magazines_v5.1.0.27.apk on my Liekbook Ares and got much more useful updates from Boyue than from Onyx.

But as you like it.
When I’m talking support, I’m not talking only updates. Things like an actual website with help, FAQs and other things.
I don’t know if the Ares will run the Nook app, but I know the Mars will only run a very old and horrible version of it. And so far no indication from Boyue that they plan on fixing that. But since it has been on the market for quite some time with plenty of complaints about that and no action, I doubt they ever will. I will say that I like Likebook’s UI better though.

Edit: Ooops! Sorry I missed that the Ares will run the current version of the Nook app.

#8  ottischwenk 12-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Quote Lparsons21
When I’m talking support, I’m not talking only updates. Things like an actual website with help, FAQs and other things.
Such I couldnt find for my Onyx readers - Kepler Pro, Poke Pro.
But the most interesting thing on Ares: Samsung Evo Plus 512 is working as Internal SD Card (also in Alita) and USB-C OTG works with 4 TB Seagate Harddisks

#9  Guns4Hire 12-25-2019, 10:37 AM
Quote Lparsons21
Thanks for the suggestion but I’m not interested in any Likebook. I have a Mars and am not happy with its performance nor Boyue’s lack of support.

Terrible support and customer service just as bad. Cheers

#10  ottischwenk 12-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Quote Guns4Hire
Terrible support and customer service just as bad. Cheers
Tell, what happened.
No producer will perform, what you wanted.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register