Mobileread
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)
#2771  issybird 11-27-2019, 05:21 PM
I've just finished A Kim Jong-Il Production: The Extraordinary True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young Dictator's Rise to Power by Paul Fischer, read by Steve Park. It's a fascinating window into Kim Jong-Il's repressive dictatorship of North Korea, as, a notorious cinemaphile, he tried to revive North Korea's moribund film industry by kidnapping South Korea's leading director and actress. It's both fascinating and horrifying, if a scootch too long for my tastes.

So for something mindless over the long holiday weekend, I've cued up an old reliable, the 20th Sharpe novel by Bernard Cornwall, Sharpe's Waterloo, read by Frederick Davidson. Tough luck, Napoleon! Sharpe is invincible.

Only one more Sharpe novel to go after this one.

#2772  CRussel 11-28-2019, 01:15 AM
I just finished listening to Neogenesis, the 21st novel in Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe, narrated by Eileen Stevens. This was a re-read in preparation for the release next Tuesday of their 22nd novel in the series, Accepting the Lance. I'll likely read that in eBook format, and then listen when the Audible version becomes available.

Next up, back with Payment in Blood, from Elizabeth George, read by Donada Peters.

#2773  SeaBookGuy 12-01-2019, 07:49 PM
Recently finished A Shadow on the Lens, featuring a crime scene photographer detective in 1904 Wales. Lots of suspense with outstanding narration!

#2774  Paperbackstash 12-05-2019, 12:05 PM
I finished The Terror, well done story and audio. Listened to this on Audible.

After this on Scribd, I listened to The Poet by Michael Connelly. Narrated by Buck Schirner, he did a good job. The story lags a bit later but the first quarter is especially good. Now I'm listening, on Scribd, Duma Key by King. This story is so slow, zzzzzz. The narrator is okay, but it's just his easy going voice with the loosely plotting story would be a good sleeping nightcap.

#2775  JamesM 12-06-2019, 05:44 AM
Hello, I'm new here and wanted to get involved straight away. Personally, I prefer non-fiction audiobook and I'm currently listening to Quiet: The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain.

I can really connect with this book as I myself am somewhat of an introvert.

I will definitely be contributing more to this thread. Speak soon

#2776  issybird 12-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Hi James and welcome.

I listen to a mix of fiction and nonfiction. I find my retention of nonfiction isn't as good as when I read it, but since it's for enjoyment and there's no test on Monday, that doesn't matter. I still finish knowing more than when I started.

#2777  sun surfer 12-07-2019, 01:56 PM
I finished The Shining, which I liked better than I was expecting. What can I say, I can be a sucker for stories about people being stranded, but it was the best King I've read (not that I've read many). I do know that over the years King and fans have made a big ruckus over the film version being a disappointment as an adaptation, but I'll say it- the Kubrick film version is better than the book.

I did like it well enough to, since I didn't have anything else lined up, immediately start on the sequel audiobook- Doctor Sleep narrated by Will Patton. I've just finished that one and it's a dud. Silly, and more of a supernatural YA action-thriller than a horror. Not that there's anything wrong with supernatural YA action-thrillers, I could like something from that genre, but this book was just silly. I even laughed out loud at the part where
Spoiler Warning below

after tricking the villain Rose the Hat, the teenage female protagonist Abra with glee and vengeance in her voice tells Rose to enjoy eating the diseased soul essence of her recently dead great-grandmother Momo. "You like the taste of my Momo? Eat my Momo, you bitch, eat her!"

[edit- For those keeping track, yes I am still going to see the Doctor Sleep film version with my friend for their sake as I'd told them I would. I will suffer through it but at least there's Ewan McGregor to enjoy.]

Now I'm onto The Blue Lagoon by Henry de Vere Stacpoole, as read by Adrian Praetzellis. I bought this on Audible then found out as I started listening (as it wasn't part of the preview) that they declare they (the company "booktrack") used a Librivox recording and just added background music. Well, it's my only option as there are no other audiobooks I can find of The Blue Lagoon so I'm sticking with it, but I found that distasteful. I hope that they informed Praetzellis and are giving him some part of the revenue, but it sounds like they aren't since if they had an agreement with Praetzellis they would've left out the "from Librivox" part. I understand Librivox recording are in the public domain and as such can be used like this but it still feels distasteful for them to do that, and not have it clear to buyers on the Audible site. At least they do announce it on the actual audiobook anyway.

That said, I actually do enjoy the music they added, and it's full-audiobook music, not just at the beginning and end. This may annoy some people but I'm enjoying it very much and in the past I've wished some books with bits of music would play throughout as well. They also have taken care to change up and use appropriate music for each scene and for me it really adds to the feel of the audiobook. I wish more audiobooks would add soft scene-appropriate background music and noises all throughout.

#2778  SeaBookGuy 12-07-2019, 02:21 PM
I listen to a fair amount of nonfiction myself, James.

#2779  CRussel 12-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Currently listening to Accepting the Lance, the latest Liaden Universe novel from Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Narrator is Eileen Stevens, who is "good", but not a 5 star narrator, for sure. Her voice tends to fit the Theo arc better than the more general Korval arc, IMNSHO, but the story is good enough to carry it.

#2780  pwalker8 12-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Finished up Winter Warriors by David Gemmell and listened to Professional Integrity, a short story of the Riyria by Michael J Sullivan (it was free, BTW). Really enjoyed both. One of the advantages of listening to series where they keep the same narrator through out the series is that you know that you are going to like the book.

I decided to go with a change of pace book and started listening to the Many-Colored Land. It's been a long time since I read Julian May's Saga of the Pliocene Exile series of which the Many-Colored Land is the first. I remember enjoying it when it first came out many years ago, but I don't remember much in the way of details at all. I've only listened to the first 10 minutes or so, so I haven't really formed an opinion on it yet.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (278/281)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register