Mobileread
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)
#2731  CRussel 11-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Quote issybird
I finished this a couple of days ago; I think Davidson and May made a compelling listen for the novel, more entertaining than reading it.
Yes, I think only way I'm going to get through it is to go back to the audio version. Well, I'm behind on a knitting project, and it's raining, so that should help. (And yes, the narrator is Nadia May. But I first met her as Donada Peters, so that's how I think of her. )

Charlie.

#2732  issybird 11-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Quote CRussel
Yes, I think only way I'm going to get through it is to go back to the audio version. Well, I'm behind on a knitting project, and it's raining, so that should help. (And yes, the narrator is Nadia May. But I first met her as Donada Peters, so that's how I think of her. )

Charlie.
I didn't even notice that you referred to her as Donada Peters. You wrote Peters, I read May; she's always Nadia* May to me for the same reason. (The first book I listened to her by her was D.H. Lawrence's The Rainbow.)

*I was startled to discover that she pronounces Nadia as "Naydia." In my head, I had read it as "Nahdia." I prefer the latter, but it's her (fake) name, so so be it.

#2733  CRussel 11-11-2019, 04:27 PM
Quote issybird
I didn't even notice that you referred to her as Donada Peters. You wrote Peters, I read May; she's always Nadia* May to me for the same reason. (The first book I listened to her by her was D.H. Lawrence's The Rainbow.)

*I was startled to discover that she pronounces Nadia as "Naydia." In my head, I had read it as "Nahdia." I prefer the latter, but it's her (fake) name, so so be it.
My first with her (as Donada Peters) was West With the Night, by Beryl Markham, where her understated narration allowed the eloquent description and story to shine through. I no longer remember which book it was where I first encountered her as Nadia May, except that I remember being perplexed by thinking how much Ms. May sounded like Ms. Peters. (This was in the 80's, well before there was such a thing as a World Wide Web in which to look them up!) And yes, I'd always pronounced it as "Nahdia" as well.

#2734  trichobezoar 11-15-2019, 12:34 AM
'Just finished listening to Becoming Free by Eckhart Tolle--excellent audiobook. I'm thinking of subscribing to Eckhart Tolle Now (where the audio book can be found); there are 9 days left in my trial membership.

#2735  issybird 11-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Quote issybird
I'm currently listening to Culture in Nazi Germany by Michael H. Kater, narrated by David de Vries, and I'm finding it rather a slog. While I've been reading a lot about Nazi Germany this year, this is a combination of over my head and beyond my interest level. For all that, I don't mind listening to it, but my retention level is pretty low.
Done! So now I'm going to treat myself to a P.G. Wodehouse, Young Men in Spats, read by Jonathan Cecil.

#2736  taosaur 11-16-2019, 08:05 PM
The Spellmonger books have sunk their hooks in me, for all that I often find the first person protagonist as face-punchable as the self-important nobles he despises. I'm deep in the third one and finding excuses to listen ("Oh, I'll just do a spot of housework. Say, why don't I go for a walk?"). The narrator, John Lee, is a perfect fit in the role of smart-ass wizard. The main appeal in these books is the magic, with battles and world building a close runner up. A lot of the spells and creatures are straight out of Dungeons and Dragons, but a little more grounded - things like magic missile or chain lightning are accomplished by manipulating thermodynamics, not just poof! blam! pow! The magical races are the surviving natives of a world where humanity does not quite belong. I do get the impression there's at least some medieval scholarship behind the more mundane details, too. Mancour isn't as nuts-and-bolts or brick-by-brick as some contemporary fantasy authors, but the mostly short and sweet expository tangents are enough to paint the backdrop without bogging down the pace.

His great weakness, as I mentioned before, is characterization, particularly on those rare occasions a woman enters the narrative. You can tell at times he's patting himself on the back for a "strong female character," but on those occasions his protagonist still sounds more like a butcher describing a fine, maybe even smart, pig. The relationships between men and women and the thoughts and actions ascribed to women are the least realistic element of this story about a wizard fighting hordes of goblins. It will depend on the reader whether that feature is made better or worse by the fact that women so seldom appear.

#2737  sun surfer 11-16-2019, 09:16 PM
My current listen is The Shining by Stephen King and my previous listen was Saki's short stories, two pretty different books including one being a good bit older than the other. It's really strange but both have a section recounting the story of Bluebeard and his wives, and both recount basically the same version of the story.

#2738  trichobezoar 11-17-2019, 12:19 AM
'Finally finished The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Took forever... Resentment, unwillingness to change, unmotivation kept me from finishing the audiobook previously.

One can stay stuck in a mud puddle for too long, however. It's time for change... now.

#2739  pwalker8 11-17-2019, 05:21 AM
Quote trichobezoar
'Finally finished The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Took forever... Resentment, unwillingness to change, unmotivation kept me from finishing the audiobook previously.

One can stay stuck in a mud puddle for too long, however. It's time for change... now.
As Napoleon was credited with saying, Ask anything of me but time. Time is too short for me to waste time listening to a book that I'm not enjoying.

#2740  taosaur 11-17-2019, 01:34 PM
Quote pwalker8
As Napoleon was credited with saying, Ask anything of me but time. Time is too short for me to waste time listening to a book that I'm not enjoying.
It doesn't sound like enjoyment was the primary purpose or goal. Whether the material serves trichobezoar's purposes is another question.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (274/281)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register