Mobileread
Kobo future firmware feature request thread
#1811  davidfor 05-21-2020, 05:17 AM
Quote twowheels
As a new Kobo user, the biggest thing that I would request so far is for the TOC to open with the current chapter visible, or at least the beginning (page 1 of the TOC). Opening at the end seems like the worst default, but that's what my Clara always does.
I've never seen that. If I am reading and open the ToC, the current chapter is on the screen with a tick against it. What format are the books?

#1812  twowheels 05-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Quote davidfor
I've never seen that. If I am reading and open the ToC, the current chapter is on the screen with a tick against it. What format are the books?

What's interesting is that now that I went back to test it I cannot reproduce it, but for the first few days that I used it it happened every single time -- it'd take me to page 25 or so of the TOC (always the last page).

That said, it was happening in kepub files, created with either Calibre or kepubify, mostly from epub or calibre news recipes, as well as Overdrive books downloaded w/ the Overdrive integration & sync (so presumably Kobo provided kepub files)

Of course, that's how it always happens... you complain about something and then it stops happening.

#1813  twowheels 05-21-2020, 02:42 PM
Just happened again. I just opened a book that I bought on Amazon prior to receiving my Clara. It was originally an azw3 file, liberated, then converted to kepub via Calibre. When I opened the book (first time ever) and went to the TOC (via the button on the bottom left of the progress pop-up) it's on page 14 of 14.

#1814  twowheels 05-21-2020, 02:56 PM
I have a few other feature requests that I just discovere while trying to test this further.

I moved a book out of my Kobo.com archive to try it with a fresh kobo official book, and discovered:

1. there's apparently no way to access my archived books from the Kobo itself. That's a bit annoying. Why doesn't the on-device store have a way to view the archive and restore books?
2. when doing a sync, OS updates are forced right then and there -- while it was nice to see that there was an update, it was unfortunate to be forced to wait just because I did a sync to download a book.

(and lest I sound like a complainer, the new Overdrive feature is nice [though to stay on the topic of complaining , it still only shows me one library, even though I'm logged into my Overdrive account])

The book that I just downloaded from my archive did start the TOC on page 1.

#1815  jackie_w 05-21-2020, 03:27 PM
Quote twowheels
Just happened again. I just opened a book that I bought on Amazon prior to receiving my Clara. It was originally an azw3 file, liberated, then converted to kepub via Calibre. When I opened the book (first time ever) and went to the TOC (via the button on the bottom left of the progress pop-up) it's on page 14 of 14.
There's been a long-term issue with books which do not have a one-to-one correspondence between HTML files in the book and TOC entries in the NCX/NAV file. Do you think this might be the source of your problem?

I've never noticed the problem you're describing with any of my epub/kepubs, but then again, I have made sure that all my books have a one-to-one TOC.

Unless things have changed recently, a book opened for the first time will open to the beginning of the first file listed in the NCX/NAV.

#1816  twowheels 05-21-2020, 03:29 PM
One more datapoint. I have an epub (converted to kepub, don't remember kepubify or Calibre) that I purchased from LeanPub.com and it did the same thing, even after today's firmware update. It seems like doing anything with the book (such as changing the page from the cover image, closing and re-opening, etc) "fixes" the issue.

#1817  davidfor 05-21-2020, 11:23 PM
Quote twowheels
Quote twowheels
One more datapoint. I have an epub (converted to kepub, don't remember kepubify or Calibre) that I purchased from LeanPub.com and it did the same thing, even after today's firmware update. It seems like doing anything with the book (such as changing the page from the cover image, closing and re-opening, etc) "fixes" the issue.
Are you opening the book, the cover is displayed and then opening the ToC and it is on the last page of the ToC? Does this happen if you turn to another page before opening the ToC? And when it happens is there tick against any chapter in the ToC?

@jackie_w comments about the problems when there is not a one-to-one connection between the ToC and the internal files might be right. And some are constructed in a way that the cover is not the first file, but, will be opened. Between the spine, the guide and the NCX/NAV, different things will show a little different order. And if the cover is not in the ToC, I'm not sure what would happen.

I need to see an example. I haven't see this, and I fiddle to much with my books to have one in the state I think it needs to be in. And I'm not sure if I could create it. Anything you can point to that we can download? Or, you can use the ScrambleBook plugin to produce something that can be posted.

#1818  Smannesman 05-30-2020, 05:11 AM
I'd love it if there was a 'Not Responding' popup that let me close the book when the reader freezes up. It's not a super common occurrence, but it'll still happen a few times a week.
And an option to 'Go to page: xxx' where you can just type in the number.
That slider is not very helpful or precise.

#1819  droopy 06-01-2020, 11:14 AM
Quote Smannesman
I'd love it if there was a 'Not Responding' popup that let me close the book when the reader freezes up. It's not a super common occurrence, but it'll still happen a few times a week.
This has has happened to me too. Why do Kobos freeze? We shouldn't be satisfied with getting a "Not Responding" alert. We should be satisfied only when our Kobo never ever freezes. Is there a way to figure out why our Kobos freeze so that we can minimize the occurrences, all the way down to zero occurrences?

#1820  compurandom 06-02-2020, 12:05 PM
Quote Smannesman
I'd love it if there was a 'Not Responding' popup that let me close the book when the reader freezes up.
That would indeed be amazing, at least for advanced users.
There's a background job that does do that, but without the dialog.
Its timeout was too short and it was killing things when they were slow but working, so now the timeout in it is so long that it rarely fires even when it should.

And an option to 'Go to page: xxx' where you can just type in the number.
I may be mistaken, but this seems like a frequently requested feature.

Quote droopy
Why do Kobos freeze?

I think the huge TOC issue may have been fixed or at least mostly mitigated in a firmware update within the last 4 months.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (182/184)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register