Mobileread
So what's the verdict?
#1  HarryT 10-12-2007, 09:23 AM
What's the verdict on the Kindle? Does it actually exist? Is it going to be launched in the foreseeable future?

Your views?

Poll attached.

#2  Nate the great 10-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I see two possibilities here:

one, Amazon has an absolutely amazing ability to keep a secret;

two, it's not nearly ready for release so they haven't said anything.

I am hoping for the first, but I think the second is more likely. Now, there are four datapoints that suggest that it does exist. They include:

the leaked FCC disassembly,
the leaked manual,
the Les Echoes statement that it would be available on the Kindle on 15 October,
the references to "kindle edition" showing up on Amazon.com.

The first two datapoints are strong evidence that the Kindle existed at that time in that form. That doesn't mean it exist now or looks like that now.

The second two datapoints suggest that something named the Kindle will be released soon.

Note that I don't include the NYTimes article. After all I've learned about journalism in the past month, I don't trust the reliability of that article.

#3  BKeeper 10-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I'd like to propose another possibility:

"It exists but after leaking it they realized that almost everybody thought the design was not "optimal", so they wisely decided to go back to the drawing board. "

(which is what more companies should do when they realize they have screwed)

or

"it exists but since they modified the design, it's not production ready yet, so on Monday they'll announce the platform and unveil a prototype which will likely ship early next year."

I'd love to be wrong.

totally unrelated matter: yes, I confess I'm an iLiad user.

#4  Nate the great 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Quote BKeeper
I'd like to propose another possibility:

"It exists but after leaking it they realized that almost everybody thought the design was not "optimal", so they wisely decided to go back to the drawing board. "

(which is what more companies should do when they realize they have screwed)

or

"it exists but since they modified the design, it's not production ready yet, so on Monday they'll announce the platform and unveil a prototype which will likely ship early next year."

I'd love to be wrong.

totally unrelated matter: yes, I confess I'm an iLiad user.
This is an excellent possibility that I hope is wrong. I want the Kindle sooner, not later.

#5  Oh, Why Not? 10-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Alas, I think the Kindle has burst into flames and we only taste the ashes now.

#6  NatCh 10-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Nicely turned phrase there, Oh, Why Not?

#7  Oh, Why Not? 10-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Thank you NatCh. Except now I have a blister on my tongue and can only have ice cream for dinner.

#8  JSWolf 10-12-2007, 07:44 PM
The Kindle has been used for Kindling and is now no longer.

#9  CommanderROR 10-13-2007, 09:09 AM
I think this whole things is very strange indeed.
I'd say the "Kindle Editions" popping up on Amazon.com were perhaps there to test the waters for ebook pricing, however, the Kindle FCC thing and the Newspaper-article don't fit in that category in my opinion...I'm looking forward to seeing what might or might not happen on the 15th...

#10  HarryT 10-13-2007, 09:59 AM
My prediction is that absolutely nothing is going to happen.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register