Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for December 2019 • The End of the Road: Finales
#31  Bookworm_Girl 11-05-2019, 02:10 AM
I nominate The One-in-a-Million Boy by Monica Wood. It is a story about legacies, moving on after grief, and how we face life as we grow old and approach death (including building new friendships and reconciling our regrets).

From Amazon US:
The story of your life never starts at the beginning. Don't they teach you anything at school?

So says 104-year-old Ona to the 11-year-old boy who's been sent to help her out every Saturday morning. As he refills the bird feeders and tidies the garden shed, Ona tells him about her long life, from first love to second chances. Soon she's confessing secrets she has kept hidden for decades.

One Saturday, the boy doesn't show up. Ona starts to think he's not so special after all, but then his father arrives on her doorstep, determined to finish his son's good deed. The boy's mother is not so far behind. Ona is set to discover that the world can surprise us at any age, and that sometimes sharing a loss is the only way to find ourselves again.

#32  issybird 11-06-2019, 08:09 AM
Bumping to say there's a day to go for nominations.

#33  Catlady 11-06-2019, 10:45 AM
I third Curtain.

#34  Dazrin 11-06-2019, 09:47 PM
I will third The Stone Angel and The Remorseful Day.

I would love to see The Calculating Stars get a third too. It is a really great book that deals with sexism, racism, and the survival of humanity.

#35  issybird 11-06-2019, 10:49 PM
Quote Dazrin
I would love to see The Calculating Stars get a third too. It is a really great book that deals with sexism, racism, and the survival of humanity.
I'm afraid we're mostly tapped out. It would have to be someone who hasn't participated in the thread yet.

#36  CRussel 11-06-2019, 11:57 PM
It’s a shame, I would have liked to see it get through, Dazrin. But I have no tickets left.

#37  gmw 11-07-2019, 01:42 AM
Dazrin, look on the bright side: by not being fully nominated you get to put it forward again ... March? (Yes, I have Monty Python music rattling around in my head as I type this.)

(The book won't actually get my vote, but given my response to the book, it's sure to spark a lot of conversation .)

#38  issybird 11-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Poll's up.

#39  gmw 11-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Quote gmw
Bookpossum, does The Last Policeman look like it would be available at your library? It's cheap in US and CA - but ridiculously expensive here and in the UK. I bought it back in April when it was cheap here, but I still haven't read it, and it would fit this theme.

Fantasyfan, same question. (Having just checked to see who was around lately from the UK )
Well, someone must have been watching this forum, the price of all three books in this trilogy have dropped dramatically (AU and GB). From almost AUD$19 down to just over AUD$3! So I could have nominated it after all ... still I'm not unhappy with the books that were nominated.

#40  CRussel 11-09-2019, 01:41 AM
All three are $1.99 (USD or CDN) right now, listed as a limited time price.

« First  « Prev   (4/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register