Mobileread
NVDA (NonVisual Desktop Access) and Kindle for PC 1.19
#1  jhowell 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM
NV Access has announced availability of new enhanced accessibility software for PCs, NVDA (NonVisual Desktop Access) that works in conjunction with Kindle for PC version 1.19. You can read the details and find a link to download this new software on this page.

Warning: The new Kindle for PC version will download books in KFX format to enable "enhanced typesetting" as needed for the accessibility software. This is incompatible with existing DRM removal tools.

NVDA and Kindle for PC

Last update: 4 January 2017 01:09 UTC

NVDA 2017.1 will support the enhanced accessibility functionality available in Amazon Kindle for PC version 1.19. This enables users to read books in browse mode, including reading with the cursor and continuous reading, and pages turn automatically as the user reads. Users can access links, footnotes, graphics, highlighted text and user notes. In addition, users can highlight text, add notes, perform dictionary and Wikipedia lookups and copy text to the clipboard.

#2  meeera 01-06-2017, 02:22 AM
Quote jhowell

Warning: The new Kindle for PC version will download books in KFX format to enable "enhanced typesetting" as needed for the accessibility software. This is incompatible with existing DRM removal tools.
Is this the case with Kindle for Mac also?

#3  mbovenka 01-06-2017, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the warning :-). I already disabled automatic updates, exactly for cases like this, but it's still good to know.

#4  Sweetpea 01-06-2017, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the headsup! I checked my kindle for PC install and noticed I still had the automatic update turned on...

#5  JSWolf 01-06-2017, 06:50 AM
I just had a look and the latest version available of Kindle for PC is 17.1. My guess is this new crappy version won't be available until February or March.

#6  lkmiller 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM
Quote JSWolf
I just had a look and the latest version available of Kindle for PC is 17.1. My guess is this new crappy version won't be available until February or March.
Definitely turn off automatic updates because its already started to roll out.

#7  pdurrant 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM
Quote JSWolf
Some people have reported getting it as an automatic update. I think Amazon, as usual, are rolling it out in stages, in case of problems.

(It's much easier for Amazon to cope with 2,000 customers having problems with a new version of Kindle for PC than 20,000,000. )

#8  Divingduck 01-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Quote pdurrant
Some people have reported getting it as an automatic update. I think Amazon, as usual, are rolling it out in stages, in case of problems.
And it happen not only in one country

#9  JSWolf 01-06-2017, 10:47 AM
I've downloaded 17.1 in case my K4PC makes me update.

#10  the.Mtn.Man 01-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Quote jhowell
That, of course, is most likely the real reason for these "enhancements". Claiming that it improves "typesetting" is probably just bait to entice users to download the new software.

Next »  Last »  (1/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register