Mobileread
How to find a matte LCD phone?
#11  stumped 04-04-2020, 12:41 PM
don't do it - dont risk any chemical on a phone screen...

my wife, in a burst of anti-coronavirus idiocy, decided she needed to sanitize her smart phone; alcohol got into top front slot where the speaker is- audio is ruined...
( it had 2 days left on the amazon warranty so its gone off for repair, maybe they will lazily swap it out & not detect user damage.... )
had to buy a new phone.
only think that should go on a touch screen is a barely damp microfibre cloth

phone screens are usually hardened glass. laptop screens are probably some sort of plastic, to reduce cost & weight

quick check: amazon has matte screen protectors for iphones, both hardened glass, and cheap cuttable plastic options). anything that is bigger than needed & is not glass i.e. can be cut down to size should work

#12  Quoth 04-04-2020, 02:54 PM
Alcohol is a bad idea.
Absolutely don't let any liquid in any aperture.

Though phones and keyboards can harbour awful bugs, if it's only one user, then it's your own bugs you already have.

Cleaning a keyboard is really hard. We used to wrap ones in dusty factories in cling film. Note it's porous, so zero protection against viruses. It might stop bacteria or amoeba, water will pass leaving copper sulphate behind.

#13  Quoth 04-04-2020, 02:58 PM
All LCD panels are glass. They usually have a filter layer, a polariser layer (can be plastic or glass) and larger ones, laptops, monitors and TVs have a glass top layer (which may be the polariser unless they are rubbish.
LCDs also have a polariser under the panel.

#14  stumped 04-04-2020, 03:05 PM
I remember having a couple of waterproof pc keyboards. You could actually disconnect them then wash them under a running tap. Just keep the usb connector dry. Took ages to dry out before you could reconnect though.
The ones I use now are the sort that are pseudo mechanical, with pretty lights, so they click as you type, and each keytop is removable. There is a switch under each key, not a membrane. More usefully there is space around each key so flipping and shaking gets rid of most bits that fall in. ( Like sunflower seed shells from my overactive lovebirds )

#15  norweger 04-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Quote mdp
But there is some percent of buyers that use them, in full dark (hopefully), to experience vibrancy for their own pleasure as part of a rite, and the market is aware of that underground sect.
Knew it! Gotta be ... well ... Illuminati! Damn them!

Quote Quoth
Actual white LEDs do not exist. They are blue, violet or UV with yellow phosphor (if blue) or mixed phosphors otherwise.
So that's the crux of the matter. Appreciated, Quoth!

I wish there were some modular phone or something where I could get great specs and an old LCD display, but alas!

#16  astmario 04-13-2020, 01:21 AM
Don't forget oleophobic coating that will get destroyed if you polish phone screen.

#17  Quoth 04-13-2020, 08:30 AM
Quote astmario
Don't forget oleophobic coating that will get destroyed if you polish phone screen.
Yes.
Though not every screen has one.
Adding a film may be the best option.

#18  norweger 04-28-2020, 03:29 PM
Quote norweger
How to find a matte LCD phone?
I have eye problems, so I can't take the glare. So I've searched around and see we have something darker than matte. Privacy screen protectors. They promise that it's only dark from the sides, and crystal clear elsewise, but I think this such dark film could be darker than matte nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/-O4mbHjwVMM

#19  mdp 05-24-2020, 12:10 PM
Quote norweger
I am not really sure I got your humor. We're at a forum for devices that are easy on the eyes. I find old LCDs easy on the eyes, contrary to new AMOLEDs.
Sorry for the delay. Please find a translation then.

> Sorry I will answer to the spirit not to the letter.
I cannot give pointers to what you ask explicitly, but I can tell (again) the interested how I solved the problem.

> I am excellently served by "Clear-Coat / Mobile Outfitters". You reach their stand and have the matte film applied, in my experience with amazing, encomiable results.
(This is pretty much literal.) There are in malls and probably elsewhere the stands of "Clear-Coat / Mobile Outfitters": you bring your device there and they will cut the right shape of a matte film with a plotter, and apply it to your device, with excellent results, if compared to the results of some median user (who will probably get a bad result involving bubbles speckles of dirt and dust etc.); the quality of their film and especially the quality of their film application, and add to that the quality of the service, involving cheaper reapplication of the film etc., are excellent.

> Of course displays must be matte.
Of course displays must be matte. Is one supposed to see their face or some other information on the screen? Is one supposed to read watermarked documents?

> But there is some percent of buyers that use them, in full dark (hopefully), to experience vibrancy for their own pleasure as part of a rite, and the market is aware of that underground sect.
In short, "but some prefer it extra flashy".

> Given that, it seems, you cannot make a matte display glossy, but you can make a glossy display matte with a film, this came the way - and while insane, considering the whole we are lucky to have a way to make things rational again.
But of course you realize that
«you cannot make a matte display glossy, but you can make a glossy display matte with a film»
so the producers have chosen for glossy, to cover a bigger market. It makes no sense on the point of view of function, but luckily a professional solution for matte-ification exists. The one I know, I noted it. "Clear-Coat / Mobile Outfitters".

#20  mdp 06-04-2020, 03:03 PM
Quote mdp
> I am excellently served by "Clear-Coat / Mobile Outfitters". You reach their stand and have the matte film applied, in my experience with amazing, encomiable results.
(This is pretty much literal.) There are in malls and probably elsewhere the stands of "Clear-Coat / Mobile Outfitters": you bring your device there and they will cut the right shape of a matte film with a plotter, and apply it to your device, with excellent results, if compared to the results of some median user (who will probably get a bad result involving bubbles speckles of dirt and dust etc.); the quality of their film and especially the quality of their film application, and add to that the quality of the service, involving cheaper reapplication of the film etc., are excellent.
Collecting all the calm I can gather, I have to change my statement.
I HAD BEEN excellently served by "Clear-Coat / Mobile Outfitters", for five years, for almost a dozen times.
Today I had their film applied to two devices; it seemed like business as usual, the surface changed little.
I realized hours later, as I held the devices, that the film has changed. The past one was smooth beyond expectation, pleasant to the touch, while that applied today is a grater. It even makes the sound, it is loud when you pass your finger on it (for real - I just compared with the former one)! Is it usable, yes kind of, but is it optimal, very far from that, and would you want it, probably not to just no. You would not have an extended session of work on that effect - already a short one would be annoying... And of course those devices are for some users what they should be there for: processing information. Which is an amount that is measured in lifetimes worth of consuming. (It is probably relevant for somebody that we are talking of an expense of 60 of your best currency for the two devices.)

Now. The very foremost point here is: they had an excellent product, now it seems they are selling you shit. Why?!

And all of that in a completely insane context. NOBODY in their sanity uses a glossy display, because of the reflections, and especially not a glossy touchscreen, because of the smudges. I can make some sense of this whole absurdity as I explained in my original post: the absurdity remains, even after reasons are considered. A personal assistant should be a normal thing to have in 2020, also since it already was in 2000: and one has today to make it a job to search for pieces and support in the USA Europe India China and Australia to get organized to get something reaching decency!?

And meanwhile as the drop of quality has been progressively expanding - and this today of the matte film is just another horrible example - people get more and more trained to compromise, apparently oblivious of the unfinished products they buy at considerable prices. Which creates a vicious circle.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register