Mobileread
Troubleshooting Kindle PW spontaneously rebooting
#1  lee.hauser 10-23-2021, 08:17 PM
I have a less than 2 year old Kindle PW 10th gen that has restarted itself three times in the past 24 hours. It's on the latest firmware.

The device's screen goes pure white when turning a page, and within a minute does a simple restart. When it comes back up, it has lost its place in my book, leaving me at a spot where I was three or four days ago.

The device has wifi/LTE/3G, and the only change I've made since the firmware update are loading an audiobook several weeks ago and pairing wireless Bluetooth headphones. Bluetooth has been turned off for over a week.

It seems to be going through battery faster than usual as well. I've had it on low-power sleep mode, which usually gives me weeks of standby battery life; but last night (when it first rebooted itself) it was over 30%, and when I opened it this afternoon it was at 10% power and demanding I charge it up. There are no newly downloaded books, so I don't think it's indexing.

Has anyone see this kind of behavior, or have any troubleshooting hints? I plan to do a factory reset when it finishes charging.

#2  shalym 10-24-2021, 04:45 PM
Quote lee.hauser
I have a less than 2 year old Kindle PW 10th gen that has restarted itself three times in the past 24 hours. It's on the latest firmware.

The device's screen goes pure white when turning a page, and within a minute does a simple restart. When it comes back up, it has lost its place in my book, leaving me at a spot where I was three or four days ago.

The device has wifi/LTE/3G, and the only change I've made since the firmware update are loading an audiobook several weeks ago and pairing wireless Bluetooth headphones. Bluetooth has been turned off for over a week.

It seems to be going through battery faster than usual as well. I've had it on low-power sleep mode, which usually gives me weeks of standby battery life; but last night (when it first rebooted itself) it was over 30%, and when I opened it this afternoon it was at 10% power and demanding I charge it up. There are no newly downloaded books, so I don't think it's indexing.

Has anyone see this kind of behavior, or have any troubleshooting hints? I plan to do a factory reset when it finishes charging.
It could possibly be a problem with the book you are reading. I had a similar problem with a "boxed set" that I bought off of Amazon a few weeks ago. I tried splitting the book using Calibre, thinking that maybe it was the size, but it didn't help. Bad formatting somewhere in the book's code--I'm not interested enough in the stories to troubleshoot any further, so I returned it.

So...maybe try it with a different book and see if it keeps happening?

Shari

#3  lee.hauser 10-26-2021, 03:09 PM
Quote shalym
It could possibly be a problem with the book you are reading. I had a similar problem with a "boxed set" that I bought off of Amazon a few weeks ago. I tried splitting the book using Calibre, thinking that maybe it was the size, but it didn't help. Bad formatting somewhere in the book's code--I'm not interested enough in the stories to troubleshoot any further, so I returned it.

So...maybe try it with a different book and see if it keeps happening?

Shari
Thanks, Shari. In this case, it doesn't appear to be the book. 48 hours after a factory reset, it looks like the Kindle is behaving normally. The book I was reading was rather large, but after the reset I downloaded and finished it without issue, and have started another book.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register