Mobileread
Firmware Update Kindle firmware v5.14.1
#1  CathyA 10-19-2021, 05:44 PM
New firmware available for all 8th, 9th and 10th gen devices plus Paperwhite 7th gen.

Version 5.14.1 – October 2021

Here's what's new:

Navigation options while reading: You can now navigate more easily within a book that has footnotes, endnotes, bookmarks, notes/highlights, or links.

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.

#2  DNSB 10-20-2021, 12:57 AM
You might have wanted to check this thread started on 2021-Oct-07: Did anyone try firmware 5.14.1? prior to posting about the availability of the 5.14.1 firmware.

#3  drofgnal 10-20-2021, 06:08 AM
It may had just become available to her. I know mine auto updated recently but to 5.13.7. When I checked for an update from the device, it said it was updated. I had to manually download and update via usb to get 5.14.1.

#4  DNSB 10-20-2021, 12:41 PM
Quote drofgnal
It may had just become available to her. I know mine auto updated recently but to 5.13.7. When I checked for an update from the device, it said it was updated. I had to manually download and update via usb to get 5.14.1.
That is entirely possible. OTOH, considering the thread I referenced was still on the first page, I would have expected the OP to have noticed it before posting.

#5  JoeC 10-21-2021, 11:52 AM
Quote CathyA
New firmware available for all 8th, 9th and 10th gen devices plus Paperwhite 7th gen.
Thank you for posting this!

#6  jhowell 10-27-2021, 03:11 PM
The What's New list for the for the new 11th generation Paperwhite 5.14.1 firmware has an additional item not present for other devices:

Page Turn Animation: You can now change the page turn style in most books. The new feature is available under the Aa Menu -> Other, and adds a new page turn style that has a directional animation.
I am assuming that this feature is only available on the new device because the faster e-ink hardware supports it better than older devices can.

Also, it says "in most books". I wonder if it only works for books with Enhanced Typesetting?

#7  NullNix 10-28-2021, 01:12 PM
Quote jhowell
Page Turn Animation
... why would anyone want this? The Kindle mobile app has this abomination on by default, and it's horribly annoying.

Why don't they work on fixing the still-manifold bugs in the reader software (like the *still*-present bug that causes search dialogs etc to vanish as soon as they appear sometimes, rendering them essentially unusable: a frequently-occurring bug fixed only by a reboot) rather than adding useless frippery like this?

Sigh. I know why: the incentives are the same as in the rest of the software industry: adding features, even stupid features, is much more incentivized than making the already-present features work properly, even very important ones.

#8  Buran 11-01-2021, 04:43 PM
5.4.1.1 is available for me now for the 11th gen Paperwhite.

#9  jeff1f1racer 11-01-2021, 05:07 PM
Hi Buran,

Was it available on the PW5 itself or did u have to manually install it?

Jeffrey

#10  Badcatalex 11-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Quote NullNix
... why would anyone want this? The Kindle mobile app has this abomination on by default, and it's horribly annoying.
It's not the same thing, and here- watch this review from MrMobile. It (briefly) shows it.
https://youtu.be/lDlt4TXIoBQ

It's actually quick, but instead of a full screen refresh, it's a gradual and smooth refresh from the right to the left. Really wish it was on the Oasis.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register