Mobileread
Holding my Voyage close - And loving it!
#1  Dr. Drib 10-17-2021, 01:17 PM
Shades of Maxwell Smart. Forget 99! Besides, you're dead and she's old and wrinkly. But not my Kindle Voyage. Technologically, she's old - but she'll never wrinkle. (But I will!) She's as sleek and beautiful as the day I bought her.

My Voyage - ah, such a beautiful screen. So clear, so unblemished. So....perfect!

The battery (I am told), is easy to replace. Almost there, so I'll purchase one when I visit the U.S.A. this Christmas.

My Kindle Voyage: Such a beautiful creature! How magnificent you are!

#2  Sirtel 10-17-2021, 01:48 PM
Funny, how many people have grown passionately fond of their Voyages. I never formed a strong attachment to mine. The lack of adjustable color temperature bothered me (I read in a dimly lit room most of the time, because I can't stand bright lights), 6'' was too small and the ergonomics never felt right. I tried to use it even after I'd bought the Oasis 3, but just couldn't. After I once put my Voyage aside mid-book and continued to read the same book on my Oasis, I decided enough was enough and better sell it than to let it gather dust on the shelf...

Yes, the screen was sharp and clear, but that's just not enough for me.

#3  Almamida 10-17-2021, 02:30 PM
I love my Voyage too. I was sad to witness its last firmware update this morning.
The oasis 3 is a great device too, but the Voyage has an incredible screen, is lightweight, pocketable, and I got used to the press sensors.
I love the origami cove too. It’s so easy to pop it in and out thanks to the magnets.

#4  drofgnal 10-18-2021, 06:34 AM
I still have a voyage as well, but passed it on to my wife. I use an oasis 3 now. I have some slight macular degeneration (CSR) in my right eye and the bit large screen helps. But I too, will replace the battery when it dies, not get rid of the device.

#5  Dr. Drib 10-18-2021, 08:39 AM
Quote drofgnal
I still have a voyage as well, but passed it on to my wife. I use an oasis 3 now. I have some slight macular degeneration (CSR) in my right eye and the bit large screen helps. But I too, will replace the battery when it dies, not get rid of the device.
My primary reader is my Oasis 3, but I will often use my Voyage when I go out and about, watching Peruvians with cell phones glued to their hands and mouths - their custom is to hold the cell phone in front of their mouth and speak directly into the microphone, and then switch it back to their ear when listening - while I contentedly sip my cappuccino and read, enjoying the now sunny days and remembering the occasion when one woman in her mid-50s walked butt naked down the sidewalk to (apparently) no one's surprise.

Such contentment: A cappuccino, a sunny day (with a light breeze drifting in from the ocean), an ebook reader, and an interesting story about killer clowns or narcissistic dolls.

#6  graycyn 10-18-2021, 01:31 PM
Quote Sirtel
Funny, how many people have grown passionately fond of their Voyages. I never formed a strong attachment to mine. The lack of adjustable color temperature bothered me (I read in a dimly lit room most of the time, because I can't stand bright lights), 6'' was too small and the ergonomics never felt right. I tried to use it even after I'd bought the Oasis 3, but just couldn't. After I once put my Voyage aside mid-book and continued to read the same book on my Oasis, I decided enough was enough and better sell it than to let it gather dust on the shelf...

Yes, the screen was sharp and clear, but that's just not enough for me.

I loved the way Voyage fit in my hand. But screen was too small and too cold in color. When I got my Oasis 2, the screen was just as sharp as the Voyage and a warmer tone, even lacking colored front lighting. The Oasis 2 was less pleasant to hold, but far more pleasant to my eyes!

My Voyage did not have great battery life, so it was a no-brainer to sell it on and no regrets.

But I wouldn't mind AT ALL if Amazon made an 8" Voyage version with color front light....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7  badgoodDeb 10-18-2021, 02:39 PM
My mom's Voyage apparently developed "expanding battery" syndrome. My nephew took it and stored it in a bucket of sand. I wish he had taken photos; I'd have called Amazon. Oh well.

#8  rem736 10-18-2021, 04:07 PM
newpower99 dot com shows 16 batteries for the voyage. how would i know which one to select?

#9  Canis_lupus 10-18-2021, 09:49 PM
Love the Voyage for the reasons already stated: lightweight and portable, dark text, and the page press sensors.

I wish it had the warm lighting and waterproofing that came later.

#10  rcentros 10-19-2021, 01:52 AM
Quote rem736
newpower99 dot com shows 16 batteries for the voyage. how would i know which one to select?
If you live in the U.S. you can save about $27 (cost plus postage) by buying from these folks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303700935314?hash=item46b5fc8292:g:vZoAAOSwOGdfafh U

They've got a good reputation and I've done business with them a couple times.

Next »  Last »  (1/13)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register