Mobileread
Please recommend an alternative to Adobe Digital Editions
#1  johnrsmith 08-31-2021, 10:38 PM
I have an old iPad mini that I would like to use to read EPUB books from our local library. I went to the app store to download Adobe Digital Editions and all I read were negative reviews. Is there a no-frills app that will work with EPUB books? Thanks in advance.

#2  odamizu 09-01-2021, 01:07 AM
Quote johnrsmith
I have an old iPad mini that I would like to use to read EPUB books from our local library. I went to the app store to download Adobe Digital Editions and all I read were negative reviews. Is there a no-frills app that will work with EPUB books? Thanks in advance.
Try Bluefire Reader

#3  meeera 09-01-2021, 03:26 AM
Quote johnrsmith
What system is your local library using? Mine uses Overdrive/Libby, and the Libby app works fine on my mini.

#4  JSWolf 09-01-2021, 01:05 PM
Which version of iOS is your iPad mini running?

#5  tomsem 09-01-2021, 02:35 PM
As JSWolf points out, your choices might be limited depending on the iOS version you are running. Even apps that used to be available for that version may no longer be available in App Store. Or you might have to use an older version.

I would try Bluefire, however, even if it is an older version.

#6  JSWolf 09-01-2021, 03:21 PM
Quote tomsem
As JSWolf points out, your choices might be limited depending on the iOS version you are running. Even apps that used to be available for that version may no longer be available in App Store. Or you might have to use an older version.

I would try Bluefire, however, even if it is an older version.
What app can be used depends on which iOS is being used. Until we know, these recommendations may be worthless.

Bluefire Reader requires iOS 13+. Most older iPad Minis are not compatible because they do not run iOS 13 or later.

#7  John F 09-01-2021, 06:01 PM
Another alternative would be to strip DRM, which may open up more app choices.

#8  tomsem 09-01-2021, 06:33 PM
Quote John F
Another alternative would be to strip DRM, which may open up more app choices.
The tools do not strip DRM if it is borrowed from library. It is not legal anywhere to do that.

#9  tomsem 09-01-2021, 06:40 PM
Quote JSWolf
What app can be used depends on which iOS is being used. Until we know, these recommendations may be worthless.

Bluefire Reader requires iOS 13+. Most older iPad Minis are not compatible because they do not run iOS 13 or later.
That’s for the current version. I think developers can choose to continue to make older versions available for older versions of iOS, and that’s what an older device would be able to get.

#10  John F 09-01-2021, 06:42 PM
Quote tomsem
The tools do not strip DRM if it is borrowed from library. It is not legal anywhere to do that.
The tools do strip DRM from borrowed library books.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register