Mobileread
WWDC 2021 Highlights and Discussion
#1  OtinG 06-07-2021, 01:55 PM
WWDC 2021 Highlights

A lot of new features, but nothing super spectacular IMO. Typical incremental updates.

Absolutely no new hardware was introduced, not that I expected it to be.

iOS 15

iPadOS 15

watchOS 8

macOS 12 Monterey

[ADDED ON 10 Jun 2021]
According to a MacRumors article, several of the new features in macOS 12 Monterey will only work on a Mac with the M1 chip. Here is a short list of features from the article that require an M1 chip:

• Portrait Mode blurred backgrounds in FaceTime videos
  • Live Text for copying and pasting, looking up, or translating text within photos
  • An interactive 3D globe of Earth in the Maps app
  • More detailed maps in cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and London in the Maps app
  • Text-to-speech in more languages, including Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Finnish
  • On-device keyboard dictation that performs all processing completely offline
  • Unlimited keyboard dictation (previously limited to 60 seconds per instance)
[/ADDED ON 10 Jun 2021]

Air Pods

[ADDED ON 10 Jun 2021]
Okay I went back and rewatched the AirPods section of the Keynote video which appears at about 34:20-37:40. I turned on CC to ensure I heard everything properly.

Note: Via more analysis, the Conversation Boost feature appears to be available only on AirPods Pro. Apparently it will not be available on non-Pro AirPods or AirPods Max.

Conversation Boost
[/ADDED ON 10 Jun 2021]

Privacy

Health

Home

Developer Technologies

This is beyond the scope of what most people in this forum will interested in, so I am skipping over this portion of the Keynote.

…….

#2  Almamida 06-07-2021, 02:04 PM
I love the intro videos

#3  Almamida 06-07-2021, 02:50 PM
Ready for the disappointed comments.
For my part, we get small evolution, as expected. New multitask seems to be well thought.

#4  JSWolf 06-07-2021, 03:15 PM
Messages meets Zoom and copies/steals features.

#5  pwalker8 06-07-2021, 03:34 PM
Quote JSWolf
Messages meets Zoom and copies/steals features.
That is what Apple does. It's even a verb in the Apple community.

#6  pwalker8 06-07-2021, 03:44 PM
The Swift playground for the iPad is pretty cool. I think that the main focus seems to be interdevice operations, i.e. making your various Apple devices work together better. Of course, the proof is in the puddling.

#7  tomsem 06-07-2021, 03:58 PM
The multitasking improvements and ability to use keyboard shortcuts to control it will be welcome.

Maybe it was mentioned in the Keynote but Universal Control is a major improvement to Sidecar:

Use your keyboard, mouse, and trackpad across Mac and iPad
Use a single keyboard, mouse, or trackpad to work between your devices. When you move from your Mac to your iPad, the cursor for your mouse or trackpad transforms from an arrow to a round dot, automatically changing shape to the one that is best suited for the device.

Drag and drop content between devices
Use your mouse or trackpad to drag and drop content between your devices, perfect for when you’re sketching a drawing with Apple Pencil on your iPad and want to drop it into Keynote on your Mac.
And UC works with ‘up to 3 devices’ (3 macs? 3 iPads? Any combo? It’s not clear)

#8  OtinG 06-07-2021, 04:30 PM
I like the new Widget formats and placement capabilities in iPadOS 15 and the Universal Control feature in macOS Monterey.

As usual, most of the updates are little more than fluff, but we are used to that with Apple.

I wish they would have left the Apps Library out of iPadOS, or at least maybe they will give us a toggle ability so we don't have to look at it and/or know that it is taking up a page at the tail end. The ability to rearrange pages is nice, but not if I have to have the Apps Library page forced on me.

My hope is that they will fix the bugs and glitches in iPadOS. I had several of same plague me as I was typing the first post of this thread using my iPad Air 2020 and Logitech Folio Keyboard case. They really need to at least make typing a simple document less of a headache. I wound up having to use my finger a lot to select items and scroll as the trackpad was really glitchy. Not sure if that was iPadOS being itself or the hardware. Either way, it shouldn't be that glitchy.

#9  ilovejedd 06-07-2021, 04:41 PM
Quote OtinG
I wish they would have left the Apps Library out of iPadOS, or at least maybe they will give us a toggle ability so we don't have to look at it and/or know that it is taking up a page at the tail end. The ability to rearrange pages is nice, but not if I have to have the Apps Library page forced on me.
For the iPad, wasn't Apps Library supposed to be in the dock? I think this would actually be very useful for multitasking since it's nearly impossible to add apps to split-view/slide-over when the app is not on the dock.

I'll be on the public beta on the 2021 Pro as soon as that's available. Depending on Marvin, might keep iPadOS 14 on my 2017 Pro.

#10  OtinG 06-07-2021, 04:44 PM
Quote ilovejedd
For the iPad, wasn't Apps Library supposed to be in the dock? I think this would actually be very useful for multitasking since it's nearly impossible to add apps to split-view/slide-over when the app is not on the dock.
I was listening and typing at the same time while trying to watch as much as I could, so I really didn't see whether it is activated from the dock or not. I do hope they allow us to toggle it on and off somehow though.

Next »  Last »  (1/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register