Mobileread
Quick Question
#1  Thasaidon 10-26-2020, 10:36 PM
Hi

While the cursor is on an opening tag s there a way of highlighting/showing its closing tag?

I checked the Manual and searched the forum but did not spot anything.

#2  Doitsu 10-27-2020, 01:21 AM
Quote Thasaidon
While the cursor is on an opening tag s there a way of highlighting/showing its closing tag?
AFAIK, that's not possible. What you can do is install a Scintilla-based editor, e.g. Notepad++ (freeware), and assign it to Sigil's Open With menu. (Notepad++ will automatically highlight the closing tag.)

#3  BetterRed 10-27-2020, 01:32 AM
FWIW - the calibre editor highlights corresponding closing and opening tags - that's one of the reasons I sometimes use it.

BR

#4  Thasaidon 10-27-2020, 02:27 AM
Thank you for the info Doitsu and BetterRed.

I thought that might be the case.

I already use the Calibre Editor and have Notepad++ (but do not open it from Sigil) installed so I can follow up on your advice.

#5  KevinH 10-27-2020, 10:13 AM
You do not want to move the cursor to the end tag, correct? You simply want to highlight the corresponding end tag with some colour other than the current tag syntax highlighting right?

If so I can look into adding that for a future release, although when it gets hard to see tags pairings I simply run mend and prettify so that indentation will show what goes with what.

#6  Doitsu 10-27-2020, 01:11 PM
Quote KevinH
You do not want to move the cursor to the end tag, correct? You simply want to highlight the corresponding end tag with some colour other than the current tag syntax highlighting right?
BTW, in Scintilla-based editors, the end tag has the same highlight color as the start tag. (Highlighting also works in reverse, i.e., clicking the end tag will highlight the start tag.)
EndTag.PNG 

#7  Mister L 10-27-2020, 01:59 PM
Quote KevinH

If so I can look into adding that for a future release, although when it gets hard to see tags pairings I simply run mend and prettify so that indentation will show what goes with what.
I would also find tag pair highlighting very useful, thank you.

#8  BetterRed 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Quote Doitsu
BTW, in Scintilla-based editors, the end tag has the same highlight color as the start tag. (Highlighting also works in reverse, i.e., clicking the end tag will highlight the start tag.)
I miss having block collapse/expand (fold/unfold) as much, or more, than I miss having tag start/end highlighting.

BR

#9  KevinH 10-27-2020, 06:10 PM
If you want block collapse and expand, use the Inspector as it is already present and built-in, or as Doitsu said, use open-with and an editor of your choice.

I personally like to edit text not dom trees stored in Widget tree views.

#10  DiapDealer 10-27-2020, 07:32 PM
I can do without any of it, myself.

I personally can't find a use case for being able to quickly see the closing tag of the opening tag I clicked on. And block collapse drives me bonkers. I keep thinking I deleted something whenever I invariably collapse a section accidentally. It's like the light in the frig: I have to keep checking to reassure myself that the hidden code is actually still there!

But highlighting the closing tag seems innocent enough. People other than myself are clearly comforted by it somehow--else it wouldn't be so prevalent in editors. There'll be no opposition from me.

Personally, I feel that if you can't easily see the closing tag without special highlighting, then the markup you're editing is a mess. In those cases, I use a parsing tool to clean it up so I don't have to worry about manually deleting the wrong tag in a ridiculously convoluted span/div rat's nest.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register