Mobileread
Kindle for PC force updated to version 1.30.0--possible to revert to earlier version?
#1  iBeth 10-23-2020, 10:07 PM
I started my Kindle for PC software last night, and without prompting or seeking my permission, it updated itself to version 1.30. (Windows 10)

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know if there is any way to undo it?

(edited for concision)

#2  jhowell 10-23-2020, 10:18 PM
See the thread Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 (and later) and KFX in calibre

#3  iBeth 10-23-2020, 10:27 PM
Thank you! I just looked at it and it's exactly what I needed to know. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

#4  Dr. Drib 10-24-2020, 12:51 PM
YES, IT HAPPENED...

This happened to me yesterday. And I've had mine NOT checked for automatic updates and have had it that way for a number of years.

I removed the new version and reinstalled (and made certain everything was the way it should be, of course), and then registered it on Amazon and now everything is fine.

#5  DuskyRose 10-24-2020, 04:19 PM
Quote Dr. Drib
YES, IT HAPPENED...

This happened to me yesterday. And I've had mine NOT checked for automatic updates and have had it that way for a number of years.

I removed the new version and reinstalled (and made certain everything was the way it should be, of course), and then registered it on Amazon and now everything is fine.
Same here.

I've always had it set NOT to automatically update, and I check that every once in a while to make sure it's right.

Started K4PC, said there was an update, chose to "Ignore" this one. Definately chose ignore. SURE about it.

Ran fine. Shut it down.

Later in the afternoon, opened K4PC again. Started update. Didn't ask. Didn't warn. Just updated.

Uninstalled and started over, back to where it's all good now. But I expect that they'll force another update when they feel like it.

#6  Deskisamess 10-24-2020, 04:23 PM
I wonder if the latest Windows update unchecked the option. I know the latest Windows update installed the Office 365 setup on my laptop, which caused havoc for my old version of Office that I prefer.

I paused Win updates for now, and will most likely keep doing that. I've no interest in Office 365, my 2003 version does all I need it to do, without subscribing to 365.

I'll launch Kindle later and see if mine does it.

#7  DuskyRose 10-24-2020, 04:36 PM
Quote Deskisamess
I wonder if the latest Windows update unchecked the option..
I had mine set correctly early in the day. I checked it after the update was offered. Few hours later, it updated anyway. No windows update in-between.

#8  JSWolf 10-24-2020, 05:21 PM
I just ran 1.17 and I was asked if I wanted to update to 1.30. I clicked to not update.

Ran it again and got updated. So I've reinstalled 1.17. It says on the about screen that I last updated today. So I'll see how it goes from here.

#9  DNSB 10-24-2020, 08:26 PM
Quote Deskisamess
I wonder if the latest Windows update unchecked the option. I know the latest Windows update installed the Office 365 setup on my laptop, which caused havoc for my old version of Office that I prefer.
My opinion is that the K4PC update had nothing to do with Windows Updates. It updated on my Windows 10 laptop and on 3 different Windows VMs including one running the latest Windows Insider flavour of Windows 10 and one running Windows 7.

#10  JSWolf 10-24-2020, 08:43 PM
It's Amazon's forced update. But I did reinstall 1.17 and it's not updating.

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register