Mobileread
Allowed Fonts
#1  FDPuthuff 10-20-2020, 05:20 PM
remove the references to Calibri Light, Calibri and Arial from the stylesheet since embedding those fonts would run afoul of Microsoft's copyrights
So...if this is the case, beyond just using serif and sanserif as fonts, which other fonts are fair game for use in our books for publishing?

Or is it just the fact that they are 'referenced' in my style-sheet?

#2  hobnail 10-20-2020, 06:21 PM
Quote FDPuthuff
So...if this is the case, beyond just using serif and sanserif as fonts, which other fonts are fair game for use in our books for publishing?

You can use a font that's free or public domain. It may require some digging to be sure that's the case. http://font.google.com has a decent selection of different styles.

#3  JSWolf 10-20-2020, 06:27 PM
Are these fonts being embedded for your own use or for an eBook that's going to be for sale?

#4  DNSB 10-20-2020, 06:41 PM
Quote FDPuthuff

I probably should have said Microsoft's licensing rather than Microsoft's copyright.

Before embedding a font, you need to check the licensing to see if you are allowed to do so, if a license needs to be purchased, etc. Quite a few free fonts use licenses that allow you to embed them in your ebooks but again, you should double check before hand. That's one reason Charis SIL is rather popular as a embedded font.

In the case of the fonts your epub referenced, they would only work on a Windows computer with those fonts installed. Windows computers are pretty miniscule percentage of the devices on which people read ebooks so if using a specific font is important to you, you should embed it.

#5  Quoth 10-21-2020, 02:32 PM
There are a set of MS Core fonts that are copyright, but you can freely use in commercial ebooks.

#6  DNSB 10-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Quote Quoth
There are a set of MS Core fonts that are copyright, but you can freely use in commercial ebooks.
Arial and Times New Roman will get you referred to Monotype Corp. to get an epub license if you want to embed them in a ebook. I'm still uncertain as to why a PDF and an epub/azw3/etc. do not use the same license.

#7  hobnail 10-21-2020, 05:16 PM
Quote DNSB
I'm still uncertain as to why a PDF and an epub/azw3/etc. do not use the same license.
Just guessing; maybe because PDF was originally designed for sending to a printer?

#8  Quoth 10-22-2020, 10:32 AM
PDF is still really for proofing paper, printing or publishing, it's just that 10" and larger tablets work quite well as electronic glass paper for PDFs.

Arial and Times New Roman will get you referred to Monotype Corp. to get an epub license if you want to embed them in a ebook.
I think there are now better free alternatives to those, though they weren't bad on windows.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register