Mobileread
Is there a VERY simple ePub reader for Windows?
#1  JJ Johnson 10-17-2020, 10:44 PM
I'm looking for a reader for Windows (7) where I can easily preview a book in ePub form. One with exactly zero bells and whistles. I don't want it to maintain a library, keep my place, no dictionaries, no highlighting... just open the book, let me use the book's ToC and navigation, and show me what's there.

I realize that it might be more of a utility than something people would want to use for actually reading books. Does such a thing exist?

#2  Pajamaman 10-18-2020, 12:26 AM
One comes with calibre.

#3  JJ Johnson 10-18-2020, 12:33 AM
Quote Pajamaman
One comes with calibre.
Can it be used without adding the book into calibre's library?

#4  Uncle Robin 10-18-2020, 12:35 AM
Quote JJ Johnson
Can it be used without adding the book into calibre's library?
Yes, I do that often - epubs can be associated with the viewer, rather than with Calibre itself

#5  JJ Johnson 10-18-2020, 12:36 AM
Quote Uncle Robin
Yes, I do that often - epubs can be associated with the viewer, rather than with Calibre itself
Ok, that will work, then.

Does Calibre have a file association setting in its options somewhere that can do this? I can set it using a Windows utility, but if Calibre can set it, that would be preferred. I get totally lost in the Calibre preferences UI.

Thanks.

#6  mitang 10-18-2020, 12:38 AM
Install Sumatra, or Calibre on your PC. After that right click on the file you want to have a look and click on Read with. That's everything. No bells, no songs. Have a good day.

#7  pandaeye 10-19-2020, 03:23 AM
In case even calibre is too difficult for you, you can find some browser extension that support reading epub in the browser (the one I use is chrome). You can either click a hyperlink to the epub file online, or drag a local epub file to the browser to start reading.

#8  JJ Johnson 10-19-2020, 05:58 PM
Quote pandaeye
In case even calibre is too difficult for you, you can find some browser extension that support reading epub in the browser (the one I use is chrome). You can either click a hyperlink to the epub file online, or drag a local epub file to the browser to start reading.
I use calibre, so that's not a big deal. I wasn't aware that the reader could be used standalone. I'm not sure it behaves exactly as I'd expect, but we'll see. And I don't think a browser based solution is what I'm after. Haven't played with Sumatra yet, but it's on the to do list.

#9  JSWolf 10-19-2020, 08:07 PM
Quote JJ Johnson
I'm looking for a reader for Windows (7) where I can easily preview a book in ePub form. One with exactly zero bells and whistles. I don't want it to maintain a library, keep my place, no dictionaries, no highlighting... just open the book, let me use the book's ToC and navigation, and show me what's there.

I realize that it might be more of a utility than something people would want to use for actually reading books. Does such a thing exist?
For what you want, Adobe Digital Editions is perfect.

#10  bazz2004 10-23-2020, 04:26 AM
I do have Calibre on my PC and it contains E-book reader which works well with epub. It's opening my books with white print on a black background which is better for the eyes. An e-reader device is how I read books though. Think about upgrading to W10 and simplifying the interface if it's too complicated for your needs. If your now unsupported W7 system goes down you will be in a world of pain.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register