Mobileread
Bottom of Page
#1  FDPuthuff 10-17-2020, 01:04 PM
If I am dealing with some front matter and I wish to 'bottom-justify' a few lines of text, is there html, which will do that, or do I add blank lines until I think I may possibly, maybe be at the bottom of the page?
Like this stuff here
Assume it's at the bottom of a page
And this
Here

#2  DiapDealer 10-17-2020, 01:22 PM
This is more EPUB-centric than it is Sigil-centric. This could get moved to the EPUB forum.

#3  Quoth 10-17-2020, 03:50 PM
Never add blank lines, on paper or ebooks or web pages. Use vertical margins as part of a paragraph style on wordprocessor which becomes CSS later.

On ebooks you can't know where the bottom of a page is. You can only ever force a fresh page break, typically done at certain headings.

There are also Widows and Orphans. They control if a paragraph is split and how much of it can be the widow or orphan across a page break. But you don't know in advance which paragraphs the settings will be applied to. Some people like it at 1 (which means none, there is no 0 setting) other people prefer that less than few lines will cause the entire paragraph to move to the next page.

#4  Quoth 10-17-2020, 03:53 PM
Short answer is that what you want is like a footer. So NO.
Possible on paper and a web page (but really really annoying on a web page) but not possible on an ebook. No Headers or Footers except by the GUI on an ebook.

#5  KevinH 10-17-2020, 04:08 PM
You could use svg to create a "cover" like page and scale it to the screen height "100vh". An svg image can be made of text as well as images.

#6  JSWolf 10-17-2020, 04:12 PM
Ordo it like is done with most title pages. create the frontmatter it as a hi-res graphic and display is full screen. It will display where you want.

#7  DiapDealer 10-17-2020, 05:09 PM
I'm pretty sure a footer is possible with HTML5 in an EPUB3, but it wouldn't be supported by a lot of readers/apps out there.

#8  RbnJrg 10-17-2020, 07:29 PM
Quote FDPuthuff
If I am dealing with some front matter and I wish to 'bottom-justify' a few lines of text, is there html, which will do that, or do I add blank lines until I think I may possibly, maybe be at the bottom of the page?
Like this stuff here
Assume it's at the bottom of a page
And this
Here
It's possible to do what you want. You need to employ a table with three rows, one for the header, one for the body and one for the footer. Of course, only can be used for one page (i.e. a title page).

The following css properties works perfectly under ADE:

Code
html, body { height: 100%; margin: 0; padding: 0;
}
div.container { height: 95%; width: 100%;
}
.full { height: 100%; width: 100%;
}
.header { height: 10%; vertical-align: bottom; font-size: 14pt; background: khaki; /* suppress this */
}
.bdy { height: 80%; vertical-align: middle; font-size: 22pt; font-weight: bold; background: lightblue; /* suppress this */
}
.footer { height: 10%; vertical-align: bottom; font-size: 12pt; background: lightgreen; /* suppress this */
}
.center { text-align: center; text-indent: 0; margin: 0;
}
and the following html text:

Code
<body> <div class="container"> <table class="full" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody class="full"> <tr> <td class="header"> <p class="center">THIS IS THE HEADER</p> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bdy"> <p class="center">THIS CAN BE<br/><big><big>A TITLE</big></big></p> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="footer"> <p class="center">THIS IS THE FOOTER</p> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </div>
</body>
You can see how the code looks in ADE with different font sizes:

show attachment » show attachment »

I used three colors as background so you can see the layout but you have to erase that property, so the page will look clean. Also take into account that I used "pt" as measurement of font-size. Of that way the layout won't be broken when the user change the font size (all that in ADE). You can open the epub I attach to see how it works in ADE.

Regards
Rubén
[epub] Title page for ADE.epub (2.3 KB, 109 views)

#9  RbnJrg 10-17-2020, 07:36 PM
Quote DiapDealer
I'm pretty sure a footer is possible with HTML5 in an EPUB3, but it wouldn't be supported by a lot of readers/apps out there.
You can mimic a footer also in epub 2 but only for one page (the most common case is a title page), that is supported by ADE. Read my answer to the OP.

#10  RbnJrg 10-17-2020, 07:38 PM
Quote Quoth
Short answer is that what you want is like a footer. So NO.
Possible on paper and a web page (but really really annoying on a web page) but not possible on an ebook. No Headers or Footers except by the GUI on an ebook.
It's possible to get a header and a footer for one page also in epub2. See my answer to the OP.

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register