Mobileread
I'm curious...
#1  gtriever 10-16-2020, 12:00 PM
When you folks read a series, do you binge read the entire series (e.g. Jack Whyte's 9-book Camulod series), or do you break it up between volumes with a totally different book? I've done both in the past. As the post title indicates, I'm just curious.

#2  Quoth 10-16-2020, 01:13 PM
No, because it may not all be written, or may I not have it all.

I DO "binge read" if re-reading a series that has an overall story arc, or the characters develop. Not Floating Time Line nor a series where the stories are very much stand-alone.

#3  JSWolf 10-16-2020, 01:27 PM
Quote Quoth
No, because it may not all be written, or may I not have it all.

I DO "binge read" if re-reading a series that has an overall story arc, or the characters develop. Not Floating Time Line nor a series where the stories are very much stand-alone.
Can you come up with an example of a series with standalone books? And can you prove they really are standalone?

#4  JSWolf 10-16-2020, 01:28 PM
Quote gtriever
When you folks read a series, do you binge read the entire series (e.g. Jack Whyte's 9-book Camulod series), or do you break it up between volumes with a totally different book? I've done both in the past. As the post title indicates, I'm just curious.
I don't usually binge a series as I have a lot of books to read.

#5  Sirtel 10-16-2020, 02:40 PM
Quote gtriever
When you folks read a series, do you binge read the entire series (e.g. Jack Whyte's 9-book Camulod series), or do you break it up between volumes with a totally different book?
Mostly the latter, but sometimes the former, if I'm enjoying the series very much.

#6  Deskisamess 10-16-2020, 02:52 PM
It depends on the type of series. I've read several lite fiction romance type series, and I do tend to read through the whole series. But these are usually 200-230 page very easy reads. I like reading them all through because they are usually written with cross-over characters and circumstances, but are finished books by themselves.

But novel series, like The Good Earth 3 book series is too much to read straight through. And they can be read as stand-a-lone books.

I admit to not reading much "fantasy" like LOTR. I've not read it, not for lack of trying.

Backs quietly out of the room...

#7  theducks 10-16-2020, 03:41 PM
Used bookstores used to be my Binge Series (paperback reading) bane.
I would try book 1, and rush back and grab whatever other in that series (and go home and read them )
Even finding a goodly stocked Used Bookstore is difficult. Saved.

Then some fool invented the Boxed Set (EPUB)

#8  DNSB 10-16-2020, 03:48 PM
Quote gtriever
When a new book in a series I've enjoyed comes out, I tend to binge read the series before starting the new book when the series runs to 9 or fewer books. For longer series, I might re-read a few books before the new book (examples would be the 1632/Ring of Fire or In Death series.

Then there have been the times when I have discovered a new author and binge read their output whether it be series or standalone. I used to do that even when most of my purchases were in paper. One example is one day when I dropped by the local Chapters and having some time to kill started browsing through their SF & F shelves. I ran into David Edding's Castle of Wizardry (book 4 in the Belgariad series) and decided to kill a few minutes though the only book of his that I had previously read (High Hunt) had struck me as cold pancakes and no honey. A half hour or so later, I left Chapters the proud owner of the first 4 books in the Belgariad.

#9  ps67 10-16-2020, 04:19 PM
I try to read the whole series without breaking it when it is possible. May be sometime I read something completely different at the same time, a non fiction book, while I read a series of fantasy or sci-fi.

#10  Uncle Robin 10-16-2020, 05:00 PM
I tend to read up to about 6-9 of a series before needing a palate cleanser. I only managed 6 of Cherryh's Foreigner series before taking a break, so the next 6 (two 3-book arcs) are high on my TBR. It's similar with detective/crime series - half a dozen is enough at one time, generally.

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register