Mobileread
Apple Event on 13 October 2020 Announcements
#1  OtinG 10-13-2020, 01:42 PM
I’ll use this thread to list the announcements from today’s Apple event. I’m going to watch it on my TV 4K from my living room so I’ll be using my iPad mini 5 to type in the information, and typing on an iPad with old, arthritic fingers is slow and cumbersome, so I’ll just include the main points for now then add more details later.

HomePod mini

Price: $99

Ships on: Nov 16

Details

iPhone 12 with 5G

Price: $799

Ships on: Oct 23

Details

iPhone 12 mini with 5G

Price: $699

Ships on: Nov 13 (need to verify this date)

Details

iPhone 12 Pro with 5G

Price: $999 (128GB)

Ships on: Oct 23

Details

iPhone 12 Pro Max with 5G

Price: $1099

Ships on: Nov 13

Details

That is everything announced in a nutshell....

#2  OtinG 10-13-2020, 03:18 PM
No macOS 11 Big Sur today. I’m guessing they are waiting to release it when some new Macs are available.

#3  OtinG 10-13-2020, 03:45 PM
It doesn’t look like there will be a new TV this year either.

The HomePod mini looks decent. It looks very similar to the new Amazon Echo Dot 4th generation, but I suspect it will have much better sound. I think their Intercom feature that isn’t actually an intercom will be a let down though. Perhaps they will turn that into a true intercom feature rather than just an audio messaging feature, which seems rather lame IMO.

I had to laugh at how they tried to spin the omission of chargers and earpods from the iPhone boxes as “saving the environment”. Yeah right! They are just being cheap...

#4  OtinG 10-13-2020, 04:28 PM
iOS and iPadOS 14.1 have been released. I haven’t seen it show up yet, but a few sites on the internet are saying it was released today by Apple.

ETA: Apparently Apple has now pulled the 14.1 releases off of the developer site. So either it was put their by mistake or they have another release booboo like they did with 14.0.

ETA2: Apple placed 14.1 back on dev site but as the GM release. So apparently someone screwed up releasing it earlier. But it never went out OTA.

#5  kyteflyer 10-13-2020, 04:39 PM
Quote OtinG

The HomePod mini looks decent. It looks very similar to the new Amazon Echo Dot 4th generation, but I suspect it will have much better sound. I think their Intercom feature that isn’t actually an intercom will be a let down though. Perhaps they will turn that into a true intercom feature rather than just an audio messaging feature, which seems rather lame IMO.

I had to laugh at how they tried to spin the omission of chargers and earpods from the iPhone boxes as “saving the environment”. Yeah right! They are just being cheap...
The Homepod mini was the standout for me, especially as I was brinking on getting an Echo Dot. Yes, it costs more, but I’m already into Apple and only subbed to Amazon Prime, with one Kindle I rarely use... bit of a no brainer. I could never justify the expense of the original Homepod but this Mini might just do it for me.

The iPhones look nice, too, but I think I will wait and see what turns up next year.

#6  OtinG 10-13-2020, 05:24 PM
Quote kyteflyer
The Homepod mini was the standout for me, especially as I was brinking on getting an Echo Dot. Yes, it costs more, but I’m already into Apple and only subbed to Amazon Prime, with one Kindle I rarely use... bit of a no brainer. I could never justify the expense of the original Homepod but this Mini might just do it for me.

The iPhones look nice, too, but I think I will wait and see what turns up next year.
If I was into using Apple Music I would get the HomePod mini. Good price, and with Apple you pay more but you tend to get top notch quality. I don’t use Apple Music or any paid music service though, so it wouldn’t be a good fit in my home. But just like the various Amazon Echos, the HomePod won’t sound all that great by itself, they all need to be paired to produce stereo sound. No way you can get good stereo sound out of a single device because that requires greater physical separation between speakers than those devices can accomplish in their small package design.

#7  salamanderjuice 10-13-2020, 05:38 PM
Amazon Echos can play Apple Music too. Plus Spotify, Amazon Music (of course) and others. Can play Audible and do TTS of Kindle books. I've been pretty impressed with my Echo Show 5 I got on sale for $60 CAD. I have it hooked up to my bluetooth bookshelf speakers which I imagine sound way better than the tiny Homepod mini or even the Homepod. Way cheaper to do too.

#8  OtinG 10-13-2020, 06:23 PM
Quote salamanderjuice
Amazon Echos can play Apple Music too. Plus Spotify, Amazon Music (of course) and others. Can play Audible and do TTS of Kindle books. I've been pretty impressed with my Echo Show 5 I got on sale for $60 CAD. I have it hooked up to my bluetooth bookshelf speakers which I imagine sound way better than the tiny Homepod mini or even the Homepod. Way cheaper to do too.
My Show 5 is pretty bad. It is nearly deaf, and the Tips continue to try to come up even when set to not display, which renders the screen unusable as a bedside device since it flickers in brightness level every few minutes. I bought it as a bedside alarm clock, so major fail there. I wish I had returned it, but I too got it on sale. I kept it because it does a good job of showing lyrics to songs that are playing. But to be honest, it isn’t worth what I paid for it, even on sale.

#9  tomsem 10-13-2020, 07:27 PM
Quote OtinG
There is still time to do another event. We only learned of this one a week ago. Maybe when they announce first Apple Silicon Mac.

I think more frequent events covering fewer products is probably better for everyone.

#10  tomsem 10-13-2020, 07:35 PM
Quote salamanderjuice
From Apple site:
HomePod mini will work with Apple Music and a number of other music and radio services, including iHeartRadio, radio.com, TuneIn, as well as Pandora and Amazon Music in the coming months.
I assume things are still not worked out with Spotify, but of course you can still handoff to HomePod (hold near HomePod) and connect to HomePod using the Spotify app, as you can with any number of other third party apps.

Most of the time, I actually prefer to find things to play on my phone ‘manually’ and hand them off rather than using voice control. This was true even with Echo devices we had. Maybe I’ll never get used to talking with computers.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register