Mobileread
numbers as text
#1  hobnail 09-20-2020, 04:14 AM
It's late and my brain is mush. How do you spell out numbers above 100? I'm wanting to say One Hundred and One, but above 109 I want to drop the "and".

(I realized that I've never read Moby Dick and decided to give it a go and beforehand do my usual clean up of the PG version. It's 135 chapters and the Sigil plugin that renumbers chapters only allows up to 100 chapters; heh.)

#2  Jellby 09-20-2020, 05:03 AM
For numbers up to 1001 you may consult this book :

And when it was the hundred and thirty-fifth night...
Disclaimer: it uses ordinals, it's very old-style, I'm not a native speaker.

#3  j.p.s 09-20-2020, 12:44 PM
Quote hobnail
It's late and my brain is mush. How do you spell out numbers above 100? I'm wanting to say One Hundred and One, but above 109 I want to drop the "and".

(I realized that I've never read Moby Dick and decided to give it a go and beforehand do my usual clean up of the PG version. It's 135 chapters and the Sigil plugin that renumbers chapters only allows up to 100 chapters; heh.)
I'm curious how you spelled out 40 and how you decided.

#4  hobnail 09-20-2020, 01:15 PM
Quote Jellby
For numbers up to 1001 you may consult this book :

Disclaimer: it uses ordinals, it's very old-style, I'm not a native speaker.
Great, thanks. I don't know why I didn't download that when you uploaded it.

#5  hobnail 09-20-2020, 01:18 PM
Quote j.p.s
I'm curious how you spelled out 40 and how you decided.
Forty? I don't understand the question. What are the alternatives to Forty that you're thinking of? Two score, ten more than thirty?

I use the renumber chapters sigil plugin, so no deciding for me. But it only goes to One Hundred so then I had to decide.

#6  Quoth 09-20-2020, 01:20 PM
There is PG version?
I do have a PD version. But not read it for many years, paper then.

#7  j.p.s 09-20-2020, 01:34 PM
Quote hobnail
Forty? I don't understand the question. What are the alternatives to Forty that you're thinking of? Two score, ten more than thirty?
Fourty. I now see see that all the top web search hits say it fell out of use over 200 years ago, but I remember being taught (much much less than 200 years ago) that either was acceptable.

#8  hobnail 09-20-2020, 01:35 PM
Quote Quoth
There is PG version?
I do have a PD version. But not read it for many years, paper then.
Yes, and they have three versions. I don't know why, and they have a comment that the first one is the best;

Project Gutenberg eBook #15 is believed to have the highest quality of the three editions of this eBook in the Project Gutenberg collection. #2701 and #2489 are the others. In addition, there is a computer-generated audio eBook, #9147, and a human audio performance, #28794.
But then #2701 has the most downloads by far.

#9  hobnail 09-20-2020, 01:37 PM
Quote j.p.s
Fourty. I now see see that all the top web search hits say it fell out of use over 200 years ago, but I remember being taught (much much less than 200 years ago) that either was acceptable.
Here in the US that would seem to me to be an odd spelling. But then so would colour and centre, etc.

#10  BetterRed 09-20-2020, 06:53 PM
Quote hobnail
Fawty [Towers of Babel]

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register