Mobileread
Are E-ink devices still a thing?
#1  ProDigit 08-12-2020, 01:19 PM
Now that the novelty has faded,
Have there been any significant improvements made, since the invention of it?
I started out with a PRS 505, then had a Jetbook nano, Jetbook color, Amazon Kindle, Amazon Paperwhite, and a 2017 or 2018 Amazon Oasis.
The Oasis was my last device.

Since then, aside from perhaps whiter whites, and blacker blacks, and perhaps e-ink screens allowing for red text,
Have there been any significant changes in the past few years?
Like, larger screens, lower prices,???

#2  JSWolf 08-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Quote ProDigit
Now that the novelty has faded,
Have there been any significant improvements made, since the invention of it?
I started out with a PRS 505, then had a Jetbook nano, Jetbook color, Amazon Kindle, Amazon Paperwhite, and a 2017 or 2018 Amazon Oasis.
The Oasis was my last device.

Since then, aside from perhaps whiter whites, and blacker blacks, and perhaps e-ink screens allowing for red text,
Have there been any significant changes in the past few years?
Like, larger screens, lower prices,???
6", 6.8", 7", 7.8", 8", 10.3", 13.3" re all screen sizes that I know of that are available.

The new thing is the Kaleido HD color screen being used by Pocketbook and soon Onyx. It allows 300DPI black/grey and 100DPI 4096 colors.

#3  Dr. Drib 08-12-2020, 02:29 PM
LIGHTS.

To read in the dark is simply...barbaric!

When I get red text, I'll re-read The Princess Bride on one - the good parts.

#4  MarjaE 08-12-2020, 02:50 PM
E-ink works. At least for me, glowscreens don't work outside, due to glare, and only a few work inside, due to blinding brightness.

#5  4691mls 08-12-2020, 03:08 PM
I can't read on a phone/tablet for long periods without having eyestrain. No problems on e-ink.

Yes, I know plenty of people can read on phones or tablets without issues - not intending to restart that old argument! Just saying what works for me.

#6  Deskisamess 08-12-2020, 03:17 PM
I love e-ink readers with front lights. I read at least an hour before I go to sleep, in a dark room, many nights 2 hours +. No way I could do that on a backlight screen in a dark bedroom.

The ability to read in any ambient lighting, from full darkness to bright sun is wonderful. I wouldn't give it up without a fight.

#7  tomsem 08-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Eink device sales have long since peaked, and some day they won’t be made any more, but that’s probably at least five years away.

I do almost all my reading on my iPad mini, and it is simply a much more versatile and superior reading device for me than my Paperwhite. I rarely read out of doors (but for audiobooks).

As for reading in the dark, the mini is also much more pleasant than Kindle. Even in dark mode, Kindle throws off too much light and adjusting brightness down kills contrast. The mini (dark theme) brightness auto-adjusts and maintains crisp and readable. That said, it’s best to have better ambient light with either device.

If Amazon comes out with a Kaleido-Kindle I’ll probably get one, but still probably would not use it much.

#8  Uncle Robin 08-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Quote tomsem
some day they wonÂ’t be made any more
A statement which is true of every device. E-ink devices are niche, but plenty of niche products survive. That you find other devices preferable is not exactly irrefutable proof of the inevitable extinction of e-ink devices.

#9  theducks 08-12-2020, 04:01 PM
Love my e-Inks
Sales have slumped because the marketplace has convinced folk they need color, (even though the buyers only read novels that were never in color).
There IS a place for Color devices
There is a Place for Large format screens.
The thing is, screens the size of a Paperback (a long established size) reall could fill a major niche . Long battery life, usable in brite sun (and in dim places with the comfort light models)

#10  tomsem 08-12-2020, 04:27 PM
Quote Uncle Robin
A statement which is true of every device. E-ink devices are niche, but plenty of niche products survive. That you find other devices preferable is not exactly irrefutable proof of the inevitable extinction of e-ink devices.
You are reading too much into my post, my preferences do not drive the eReader market.

Next »  Last »  (1/15)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register