Mobileread
unicode chess pieces
#1  serendipity22 08-06-2020, 12:56 AM
I am experimenting with using unicode chess pieces for diagrams in some of my chess ebooks I have on Amazon.

The diagrams are OK when viewed in a kindle reader, except that if I zoom in or out the chess pieces change size while the board and pieces do not.

Is there a way I can either make the pieces fixed so they don't resize or
make the board resizable?

Has anyone had success with unicode pieces in a chess diagram?

#2  gmw 08-06-2020, 05:03 AM
Because Unicode chess pieces are essentially just characters (text), I wonder if you might have better luck using tables instead of (what I presume to be) an image for the board. With luck the table will resize more consistently with the font. You might be able to use your board image as a background image for the table, otherwise just colour the cells.

I fear that any attempt to get completely consistent behaviour between images and text is doomed to failure. (At least, that is my pessimistic forecast.)

I assume you are intending to embed an appropriate font for the pieces - relying on readers to have a font with good chess pieces could be risky.

#3  JSWolf 08-06-2020, 06:16 AM
Use SVG diagrams.

#4  Tex2002ans 08-07-2020, 09:53 PM
Quote serendipity22
I am experimenting with using unicode chess pieces for diagrams in some of my chess ebooks I have on Amazon.

The diagrams are OK when viewed in a kindle reader, except that if I zoom in or out the chess pieces change size while the board and pieces do not.

Is there a way I can either make the pieces fixed so they don't resize or
make the board resizable?
What solutions did you go with since your 2018 chess thread?

"embedded fonts in epub"

The chess recommendations given in that thread are still applicable now in 2020.

Quote gmw
I fear that any attempt to get completely consistent behaviour between images and text is doomed to failure. (At least, that is my pessimistic forecast.)
Yep. See discussion in 2018 thread above.

Quote gmw
I assume you are intending to embed an appropriate font for the pieces - relying on readers to have a font with good chess pieces could be risky.
Yep. Barely any font is going to even have those characters.

Quote JSWolf
Use SVG diagrams.
Another potential solution. SVG will work for KF8+KFX, while PNG/GIF fallback will be needed for KF7 and Amazon's Look Inside.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register