Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for March 2019 • Murder, They Wrote: Deadly Pursuits
#11  issybird 02-01-2019, 07:12 PM
Kobo is easy; just click on the flag and change it. Amazon can be more problematic, in that sometimes even if you're on a different national site they're showing the availability and price in your own translated currency. In both situations, just looking from an incognito or private window can help get unalloyed results.

ETA: If you hit a snag, someone in the country will be happy to help. I have to say that it seems your nomination isn't available in the US.

#12  Bookpossum 02-01-2019, 07:16 PM
Quote stuartjmz
How do you all find the prices for different sites? Do you login via proxy?
On Kobo, just click on the flag right up near the top of the page. That offers you a whole lot of flags and the main ones to check for price and availability for our members are the US, Canada, the UK and Australia. If the book isn't available in one of these countries, particularly the US, it may not do very well.

I find that Amazon is more problematic, as the prices given seem to be an Australian version in $US for example, rather than showing me the US page. So I just use Kobo as an indicator, and leave it to the locals to check their own Amazon site if that's their preference.

Hope that helps.

Issybird beat me to it!

#13  stuartjmz 02-01-2019, 07:23 PM
Quote issybird
I have to say that it seems your nomination isn't available in the US.

Ah, that's a shame. I read it in paper format back when it was first released. when I saw it available as ebook to me, I assumed it would be available to the US as well. Using a proxy to access Amazon US, I see that it's still paper only, and currently ut of stock. Disappointing.

#14  issybird 02-01-2019, 07:27 PM
Quote stuartjmz
Ah, that's a shame. I read it in paper format back when it was first released. when I saw it available as ebook to me, I assumed it would be available to the US as well. Using a proxy to access Amazon US, I see that it's still paper only, and currently ut of stock. Disappointing.
Given that it's unlikely to have much traction under the circumstances, would you like to withdraw the nomination?

ETA: A quick look shows it's available in NZ, AU and UK (cheap!), but not in CA or US

#15  stuartjmz 02-01-2019, 07:30 PM
Quote Bookpossum

I find that Amazon is more problematic, as the prices given seem to be an Australian version in $US for example, rather than showing me the US page. So I just use Kobo as an indicator, and leave it to the locals to check their own Amazon site if that's their preference.

This confused me at first when I switched to Kobo from Kindle. The price difference seemed HUGE, then I realised that Amazon was showing me books available to NZ but listed in $US, while Kobo was showing me $NZ prices. 75-80% of the books are within $1US of each other, it turns out. But availability is a different kettle of fish, as issy's comment reminded me. It's disappointing because when logged into "amazon.com", as opposed to say "amazon.com.au", I would have expected to see US availability.

#16  stuartjmz 02-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Quote issybird
Given that it's unlikely to have much traction under the circumstances, would you like to withdraw the nomination?
No. It's not going to win, but I don't have any others I feel like nominating, and it may catch someone's eye enough to prompt a paper purchase, so if it not in breach of the rules, I'm happy for it to stay visible here.

#17  issybird 02-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Quote stuartjmz
No. It's not going to win, but I don't have any others I feel like nominating, and it may catch someone's eye enough to prompt a paper purchase, so if it not in breach of the rules, I'm happy for it to stay visible here.
Good enough! (I wouldn't have deleted it, anyway, but I agree with you; a large part of the process is suggesting books that might catch someone's eye. Winning is a long shot, but discovery has good odds.)

#18  CRussel 02-01-2019, 07:49 PM
Yes, discovery is the important part. And stuartjmz's book sounds interesting. And while not available in North America, I have no difficulty buying from Amazon UK.

#19  Bookworm_Girl 02-02-2019, 12:41 AM
I will second Killers of the Flower Moon. It’s been on my TBR for ages.

#20  gmw 02-02-2019, 01:09 AM
Quote stuartjmz
How do you all find the prices for different sites? Do you login via proxy?
In my case, yes, I do have a proxy service. It pretty much stopped working for Amazon for a while (became so slow as to be useless), but seems to be okay again now.

But I have the proxy service for other reasons, if you don't have one then I think Bookpossum's advice/example is appropriate:

Quote Bookpossum
[...]So I just use Kobo as an indicator, and leave it to the locals to check their own Amazon site if that's their preference. [...]
After all, for all that I grabbed prices in four locale's, I still missed yours!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register