Mobileread
MobileRead Discussion Dracula by Bram Stoker (SPOILERS)
#1  pilotbob 05-28-2009, 07:06 PM
So, how did you all like this book. I have to say, I have not read it.

Sorry for starting the thread so late.

BOb

#2  JSWolf 05-28-2009, 07:10 PM
I've not yet finished it to be honest.

#3  pilotbob 05-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Quote JSWolf
I've not yet finished it to be honest.
I appreciate your honesty.

BOb

#4  JSWolf 05-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Quote pilotbob
I appreciate your honesty.

BOb
Thank you. I do plan on trying to get it finished by the 5th of June.

#5  ErwinOtten 05-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Quote pilotbob

BOb
I didn't know that Dracula was the chosen book for May, but I started reading it a week ago by coincidence. I'm halfway by now and hope to finish it the next week.

#6  lilac_jive 05-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Quote pilotbob

BOb
Crap, actually, I was supposed to post it and forgot.

I read Dracula several months ago and really enjoyed it. I liked the epistilary (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) style, it kept me guessing on what would happen next.

I would like to know what stuff in the book about vampires Stoker came up with and what he didn't. I know most of what we think about vampires comes from this book, I'm just not sure what.

#7  ruth1304 05-31-2009, 05:18 PM
I read the book a few weeks ago and then found out is was the May book.

I really enjoyed it - I read "The Historian" by Elisabeth Kostova a couple of years ago but had never read "Dracula". "Dracula" seems to be the original and best version of the story. But I do remember in "The Historian" Kostova talked about lots of sources for the Dracula legends and vampires. Unfortunately it was a while ago so I can't remember much of it now. But I'm sure that he was inspired by folk stories of vampires.

#8  Sparrow 05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Quote lilac_jive
I would like to know what stuff in the book about vampires Stoker came up with and what he didn't. I know most of what we think about vampires comes from this book, I'm just not sure what.
Sheridan Le Fanu's 'Carmilla' was one earlier vampire tale that influenced Stoker.

#9  JSWolf 06-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I've gotten 1/2 done with Dracula. It did start off very dry and very slow. But I would say that once you hit chapter 5, it really did pick up and became a lot more enjoyable to read. I am going to finish it before the voting it done for June.

#10  Fathermole 06-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I agree it was slow to start but once you get further in it goes alot faster . I enjoyed the book , it was a reread for me but it was over 25 years ago that I read it . So it was almost a new read .

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register