Mobileread
Kindle Paperwhite TTS
#1  Devot3d 08-09-2022, 08:39 PM
I have TTS on my Kindle, but only on kindle store books, I want it to work on books I load from my PC. Anyone how to make this work?

I can't find much information on the Kindle text to speech ability, but I have read about some people going in to the accessibility options and getting TTS functionality from there.. But that's not the case on my Kindle.

My Kindle has been able to play TTS from any book purchased from the store (including kindle unlimited). Perhaps because my Kindle is purchased in China with a Chinese account, and perhaps in China they're less precious about audiobooks.

Most of the books allow TTS, except for the Harry Potter books. (There's a Chinese app which has huge numbers of audiobooks for a small subscription, but no Harry Potter. So the rights owners are vigilant on that...)

image »

Anyhow, you can see on compatible books there's a headphone icon

image »

When you hit the icon and press play it will try to connect to your bluetooth device.

image »

While reading it will underline the current sentence.
The TTS actually sounds really good.

image »

As you can see the voiceview screen reader is not turned on.

Anyhow, I haven't been able to figure out how to get side-loaded books to show that headphone icon. I tried different formats in Calibre (mobi, azw3, kfx...) I've tried a java MobiMetaEditor I saw suggested in a different thread to enable TTS, but it didn't work.

Anyone know where to look to figure out the answer?

#2  shamanNS 08-10-2022, 12:00 PM
How did you "load" those books your Kindle?

1) transfer via USB cable
2) wireless delivery using "send to email" or "Send to Kindle" apps/extensions?

Check if those books (file copies on the Kindle itself, obviously) with MobiMetaEditor have "cdeType" value as EBOK or PDOC. And also that "ttsflag" you already mentioned.

If the value is PDOC try changing them to EBOK and transfer them to your Kindle via USB cable (prior to that remove the exist file for the same book from your Kindle) and then test TTS functionality.

#3  tomsem 08-10-2022, 03:33 PM
The headphone icon indicates a title for which you have an audiobook companion. It has nothing to do with TTS/VoiceView. It means you can download the audiobook and listen to it as well as the ebook (though not simultaneously), and reading position is synchronized between the two formats. VoiceView is not restricted to Kindle Store books.

All 7th generation and later Kindles support VoiceView screen reader for all titles that are not fixed layout. TTS restrictions do not apply. However, it's not as convenient to use as TTS, as it is designed for people with vision impairments (for whom it works very well).

The last Kindle to support TTS was the Kindle Touch (4th gen I think?). Currently, the only devices that actually support TTS for Kindle books are the Fire tablets.

#4  Devot3d 08-11-2022, 12:06 AM
Quote tomsem
The headphone icon indicates a title for which you have an audiobook companion. It has nothing to do with TTS/VoiceView. It means you can download the audiobook and listen to it as well as the ebook (though not simultaneously), and reading position is synchronized between the two formats. VoiceView is not restricted to Kindle Store books.

All 7th generation and later Kindles support VoiceView screen reader for all titles that are not fixed layout. TTS restrictions do not apply. However, it's not as convenient to use as TTS, as it is designed for people with vision impairments (for whom it works very well).

The last Kindle to support TTS was the Kindle Touch (4th gen I think?). Currently, the only devices that actually support TTS for Kindle books are the Fire tablets.
You see that is where I am confused, because it is clearly working on my device as I described it in my post. You can see that I do not have the screenreader turned on and yet it is playing text-to-speech versions of the book when I hit that headphone icon.
As I said in my initial post I think it must be a difference of the Chinese market.

#5  jonathan2022 08-11-2022, 01:46 AM
Quote shamanNS

Check if those books (file copies on the Kindle itself, obviously) with MobiMetaEditor have "cdeType" value as EBOK or PDOC. And also that "ttsflag" you already mentioned.

If the value is PDOC try changing them to EBOK and transfer them to your Kindle via USB cable (prior to that remove the exist file for the same book from your Kindle) and then test TTS functionality.
where do i find this app or program MobiMetaEditor. tts on android only reads one page at time for docs.

#6  tomsem 08-11-2022, 03:52 AM
Quote Devot3d
You see that is where I am confused, because it is clearly working on my device as I described it in my post. You can see that I do not have the screenreader turned on and yet it is playing text-to-speech versions of the book when I hit that headphone icon.
As I said in my initial post I think it must be a difference of the Chinese market.
Which Kindle model do you actually have? It really does not sound like it is any Kindle that has ever existed. Only generation 2/3/4 Kindles had TTS feature, and this is going back 11 years now.

Perhaps it is a Chinese clone, and not actually an Amazon device? In that case the software and hardware features would be entirely different.

Amazon recently stopped selling Kindles in China, and will stop selling e-books there next year.

#7  Devot3d 08-11-2022, 04:57 AM
Quote shamanNS

So I have been transferring everything via USB, and they did have the value set as EBOK.
I installed an extension to caliber to create the KFX format books, and then replaced the DRM version of a book that I had downloaded from the Amazon Kindle store with a version of that same book which I have used the deDRM plug-in on to convert to MOBI and then convert back to KFX and it maintained the text-to-speech functionality.
What I'm thinking is that means is that they are using something external to the file itself to enable or disable text-to-speech.

#8  Quoth 08-11-2022, 07:59 AM
Quote Devot3d
You sure you are not confusing audio books and Text To Speech?
Also some cheap or free audio books confusingly are produced by TTS rather than recording a human.

The PW3 and later have “Voice View”. You install a download and it's a user interface for blind or partially sighted. This also includes an awkward TTS. The PW3 needs a USB to audio dongle/adaptor and the PW4 and later use Bluetooth. Some ebooks come with free Audible "audio books". Others can have it purchased. That's what the headphone icon refers to, not TTS.

AFIAK standalone TTS is only on early Kindles with a real headphone socket. Not much better than a PC in late 1980s.

#9  jhowell 08-11-2022, 09:15 AM
Amazon does (or did) sell a special Kindle model for the Chinese market. It runs Fire OS (Android) on an e-ink device with a custom version of the Kindle app.

#10  Quoth 08-11-2022, 09:29 AM
But even on the Chinese Amazon eink Android will the headphone icon mean TTS available or audiobook?

Certainly it might get no more Amazon China content.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register