Mobileread
Does amazon know my Kindle is jailbroken?
#1  dedeca 08-09-2022, 11:50 AM
I lost the Cover Display option after updating kindle to version 5.14.3.0.1, I thought it was a bug and figured it would be fixed in a future update. So yesterday a new update to 5.14.3.2 came out, and the Cover Display option still hasn't appeared. It's strange because downgrading to 5.14.2 solves the problem, however updating the firmware to a newer version makes this option go away.
Is it possible that Amazon knows my device is jailbroken and has decided to remove the Cover Display option?

#2  mergen3107 08-09-2022, 12:00 PM
Usually, when Kindle updates, install the latest JB Hotfix ASAP. Then reinstall all the packages you use.

Regarding your specific case, maybe there are stock binaries/scripts that the Cover Display package relies on, but on newer FW it was removed?

#3  shamanNS 08-09-2022, 02:36 PM
My experience with the exact same firmware version (5.14.1.1 on PW5) with and without jailbreak:
pre-jailbreak I had Display Cover option appear seconds after registering the device to my Amazon account

and post-jailbreak while still on the same firmware and re-registered to the same Amazon account that cover option didn't appear even after days spent online (with ota binaries renamed, and before renaming ota binaries I did the actual registration and gave it couple of minutes online then connected to computer to delete firmware update it started downloading & then renamed ota binaries).
So it doesn't seam to be related to firmware version itself?

When trying to troubleshoot that issue myself I had a hypothesis that maybe it has something to do with that debug flag file being created by jailbreak procedure and I've managed to brick / bootloop that PW5 unit when I've edited jailbreak bridge script to comment out a function call for the function that creates that file (I've introduced a syntax error [empty if.. then block] and thus broke Upstart and boot procedure, it loops even before exporting storage so no can do on the whole "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" thing) to stop it from recreating that file on each reboot.

Anyways, while I was waiting for replacement PW5 to come other people have figured out the solution for Display Cover option:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...20&postcount=3

So, you'll need to insert the missing "experiment" info into that SQLite database.

I've done that and it works. Before going that route I've even tested doing a factory reset after jailbreak (since jailbreak script messed about some other database file (appreg??, whatever is in device & firmware specific zip "payload" used by jailbreak script) to check if that clears problems with that missing Display Cover option and with Goodreads... and no dice : Display Cover hasn't appeared so I had to enable it myself via database edit.

#4  tekkasit 08-09-2022, 10:48 PM
Me too. I think it is a plausible explanation.

I jailbreak my Oasis 3 (v5.14.2) with "watchthis-jailbreak", and upgrade to 5.14.3, and 5.14.3.0.1. After that, I realized that the Cover Display option was gone.

#5  dedeca 08-10-2022, 01:07 AM
Quote shamanNS
Anyways, while I was waiting for replacement PW5 to come other people have figured out the solution for Display Cover option:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...20&postcount=3
Yeees That worked! Thank you so much!

#6  dedeca 08-10-2022, 01:14 AM
Quote tekkasit
I jailbreak my Oasis 3 (v5.14.2) with "watchthis-jailbreak", and upgrade to 5.14.3, and 5.14.3.0.1. After that, I realized that the Cover Display option was gone.
The above method worked on my pw3. On my pw5 I did it a little differently. As my pw5 was still at version 5.14.2 and in this version there is no Display Cover problem, all I did was copy the file /var/local/KWISClient.db from version 5.14.2 to 5.14.3.2. I don't know if it's a recommended method, but it worked.

#7  tekkasit 08-10-2022, 01:45 AM
It didn't work for my device (Oasis 3). After reboot, the Display Cover option still does not show.

Code
[root@kindle root]# cat /var/local/java/prefs/BookCover.preference
#User preferences for Book Cover Preferences
#Sun May 29 18:17:30 GMT-06:00 2022
BookCoversEnabled=false
isBCSettingAccessed=true
[root@kindle root]# sqlite3 /var/local/KWISClient.db
SQLite version 3.26.0 2018-12-01 12:34:55
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> SELECT extra_identifier, experiment, treatment FROM main.experiments;
DecanterChromeV1|DECANTER_CHROME_V1_FALLBACK_328845|C
DecanterChromeV1|DECANTER_CHROME_V1_MALBEC_FALLBACK_370896|C
CuratorBookCovers|EREADER_CURATOR_BOOK_COVERS_307723|T2
sqlite> .exit
P.S. My Oasis 3 had removed ads already.

#8  shamanNS 08-10-2022, 05:42 AM
Try setting "BookCoversEnabled" to true?

#9  tekkasit 08-10-2022, 06:22 AM
Okay, I found out.

You just need to insert a few records into KWISClient.db. No BookCover.preference file needed.

INSERT INTO main.extra_identifiers( extra_identifier, poll_interval ) VALUES ('CuratorBookCovers', 0);
INSERT INTO main.experiments( extra_identifier, experiment, treatment ) VALUES ('CuratorBookCovers', 'EREADER_CURATOR_BOOK_COVERS_307723', 'T2');

and single reboot.
Code
sqlite> select extra_identifier, poll_interval from extra_identifiers;
DecanterChromeV1|30
KINDLE_EINK_REMOTE_LICENSE_RELEASE_V2|0
CuratorBookCovers|0
sqlite> select extra_identifier, experiment, treatment from experiments;
CuratorBookCovers|EREADER_CURATOR_BOOK_COVERS_307723|T2
sqlite> .exit
I think for my case, the extra_identifiers table has no CuratorBookCovers value (PK for experiments table).

#10  tekkasit 08-11-2022, 01:02 AM
Oops. The option was gone again in a few minutes while I'm online.

I think Amazon service keeps calling home, and reverting values back.

I found out that my extra_identifiers table now have only one record, the 'KINDLE_EINK_REMOTE_LICENSE_RELEASE_V2' row was gone!

Code
sqlite> select extra_identifier, poll_interval from extra_identifiers;
DecanterChromeV1|30
sqlite> select extra_identifier, experiment, treatment from experiments;
sqlite> .exit

Manually insert of the missing record back doesn't restore it back. After reboot, it will have only one record. (T_T)

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register