Mobileread
Great on Kindle, $0.50 credit?
#1  ZodWallop 07-18-2022, 11:16 AM
So I'm looking at purchasing Stonewall: The Definitive Story of the LGBT Rights Uprising that Changed America and there's a notice on the page that says if I buy the book they will give me a whole $0.50 credit to use on another book.

Reading the fine print, I suspect the credit will only work on other books someone decided are Great on Kindle. Amazon can't just be giving $0.50 away willy-nilly!

Has anyone else seen this?

#2  wandalynn 07-18-2022, 11:28 AM
Quote ZodWallop
So I'm looking at purchasing Stonewall: The Definitive Story of the LGBT Rights Uprising that Changed America and there's a notice on the page that says if I buy the book they will give me a whole $0.50 credit to use on another book.

Reading the fine print, I suspect the credit will only work on other books someone decided are Great on Kindle. Amazon can't just be giving $0.50 away willy-nilly!

You're right, it's only good on a limited number of books. And not only that, it expires in a month. I don't know how Amazon stays afloat giving out all these credits.

A number of years ago this was much more generous and worth the trouble of checking the list for another book instead of letting the credit expire. Not anymore. I don't know why they even bother.

#3  ZodWallop 07-18-2022, 01:33 PM
Quote wandalynn
You're right, it's only good on a limited number of books. And not only that, it expires in a month. I don't know how Amazon stays afloat giving out all these credits.

A number of years ago this was much more generous and worth the trouble of checking the list for another book instead of letting the credit expire. Not anymore. I don't know why they even bother.
Yeah, I wouldn't normally pay $5 for a book, since I have so many. I just wanted that Stonewall book.

I don't see myself combing through a list of books that to my taste will be overpriced in the off chance I can save $0.50.

#4  sufue 07-18-2022, 01:49 PM
And I've been getting credits that are $5 off, but have to be applied to a book (of their choice) that is $9.99 or more. I NEVER (well, almost never - the most recent books of a very very few fiction authors, and a few non-fiction titles) pay $4.99 for a book...

Amazon doesn't know me as well as they think they do !

#5  Manabi 07-18-2022, 04:52 PM
Quote ZodWallop

If you look through the Great on Kindle books, most (probably all) of them give credits equal to 10% of the price Amazon sells them at. A book for $11.99 gives a $1.20 credit, $16.99 gives a $1.70 credit and so on. That's why it's only $0.50, since that book's only $4.99.

It makes sense in that context, but it definitely seems stingy looking at just the one $4.99 book.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register