Mobileread
FREE/BARGAIN — Science Fiction & Fantasy
#6191  salty-horse 08-16-2022, 04:44 AM
Quote salty-horse
The third story is a novella available at retail. All three stories are mentioned in the novel to varying degrees, but are not a requirement.
I was misleading here. While it's not a requirement to read the others, A Master of Djinn is a direct sequel to A Dead Djinn in Cairo. It will be very helpful to know the characters and events introduced there.

#6192  salty-horse 08-16-2022, 04:57 AM
Dark Matter: A Century of Speculative Fiction from the African Diaspora edited by Sheree R. Thomas is $3 on Amazon.com
Was on sale several times in the past, but wasn't on my radar.
Table of contents: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?8879

QualityLand by Marc-Uwe Kling, translated by Jamie Lee Searle is $3 on Amazon.com
Humorous
In the near future sci-fi world of Qualityland, algorithms help create an idyllic life for its citizens, but what if the perfect world wasn't built for you?

Welcome to QualityLand, the best country on Earth. Here, a universal ranking system determines the social advantages and career opportunities of every member of society. An automated matchmaking service knows the best partners for everyone and helps with the break up when your ideal match (frequently) changes. And the foolproof algorithms of the biggest, most successful company in the world, TheShop, know what you want before you do and conveniently deliver to your doorstep before you even order it.
In QualityCity, Peter Jobless is a machine scrapper who can't quite bring himself to destroy the imperfect machines sent his way, and has become the unwitting leader of a band of robotic misfits hidden in his home and workplace. One day, Peter receives a product from TheShop that he absolutely, positively knows he does not want, and which he decides, at great personal cost, to return. The only problem: doing so means proving the perfect algorithm of TheShop wrong, calling into question the very foundations of QualityLand itself.

#6193  salty-horse 08-16-2022, 11:42 AM
Forever Peace by Joe Haldeman is $2 on Amazon.com
Reviews are mixed, so proceed with caution.
2043 A.D.: The Ngumi War rages. A burned-out soldier and his scientist lover discover a secret that could put the universe back to square one. And it is not terrifying. It is tempting...

#6194  Manabi 08-16-2022, 11:55 AM
Quote salty-horse
I suspect the mixed reviews are because of how different it is from The Forever War. While the titles are similar, it's not a sequel/prequel/etc., it's totally unrelated. If you don't go in expecting it to be similar, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

#6195  DNSB 08-16-2022, 12:08 PM
Quote salty-horse
Quote Manabi
I suspect the mixed reviews are because of how different it is from The Forever War. While the titles are similar, it's not a sequel/prequel/etc., it's totally unrelated. If you don't go in expecting it to be similar, you'll enjoy it a lot more.
I agree with @Manabi. Forever Peace is good but it is not related to The Forever War which the title tends to suggest.

Perhaps as Joe Haldeman wrote:

Caveat lector: This book is not a continuation of my 1975 novel The Forever War. From the author's point of view it is a kind of sequel, though, examining some of that novel's problems from an angle that didn't exist twenty years ago

#6196  tch65721 08-16-2022, 12:17 PM
A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld Book 32) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R4LGMA

#6197  salty-horse 08-16-2022, 12:21 PM
Re Forever Peace, the middling reviews are read do not treat it as a sequel, but do have high expectations because they liked the Forever War.

#6198  salty-horse 08-17-2022, 03:12 AM
The Stars, Like Dust by Isaac Asimov is $2 on Amazon.com
One of his earlier works.
His name was Biron Farrill and he was a student at the University of Earth. A native of one of the helpless Nebular Kingdoms, he saw his home world conquered and controlled by the planet Tyrann—a ruthless, barbaric Empire that was building a dynasty of cruelty and domination among the stars.

Farrill’s own father had been executed for trying to resist the Tyrann dictatorship and now someone was trying to kill Biron. But why?

His only hope for survival lay in fleeing Earth and joining the rebellion that was rumored to be forming somewhere in the Kingdoms. But once he cast his lot with the freedom fighters, he would find himself guarding against treachery on every side and facing the most difficult choice of all: to betray either the woman he loved or the revolution that was the last hope for the future.

#6199  sufue 08-19-2022, 12:00 PM
An omnibus with nine titles (six books and three novellas) in Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series is available for £7.99 at Kindle UK. That's a pretty good price even if you already have a couple of them. It seems to be kind-of long term at this price, but I just noticed it now...

The titles included are: Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I0X1S6Y
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I0X1S6Y

Spoiler Warning below

Welcome to a faery world filled with dangerous adventure and forbidden love…
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny – one she could never have imagined.

Enter the Faery world with Julie Kagawa’s internationally bestselling series, The Iron Fey, now with six novels and three short stories in one special collection!

Praise for Julie Kagawa
‘One killer storyteller.’ MTV

’The Iron King is a must read!’ New York Times bestselling author, Gena Showalter

‘The characters of the series are really what have driven this book from fantasy to fantastical.’ myjournalofbooks.com

Readers have been spellbound
‘I never wanted to leave the beautiful world Julie Kagawa painted.’

‘The Iron King is a breath of fresh air after a string of mediocre novels.’

‘A full five-stars to Julie Kagawa.’

‘Fabulous, thrilling and utterly fascinating.’

‘This series is one of those that just keeps getting better.’

‘I just can’t get enough of this world!’

‘Words cannot, will not, sum up the inexplicable ride that thoroughly consumed me while reading The Iron Fey series.’

#6200  JSWolf 08-19-2022, 01:52 PM
Is that supposed to be a description of the Iron Fey series or is it supposed to be a bunch of review blurbs?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (620/636)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register