Mobileread
FREE/BARGAIN — Comics
#621  salty-horse 07-02-2022, 04:21 AM
Logicomix: An epic search for truth by Apostolos Doxiadis, Christos Papadimitriou, Alecos Papadatos, and Annie Di Donna is $5 on Amazon.com
This is a dramatization of Bertrand Russell's life.
This exceptional graphic novel recounts the spiritual odyssey of philosopher Bertrand Russell. In his agonized search for absolute truth, Russell crosses paths with legendary thinkers like Gottlob Frege, David Hilbert, and Kurt Gödel, and finds a passionate student in the great Ludwig Wittgenstein. But his most ambitious goal-to establish unshakable logical foundations of mathematics-continues to loom before him. Through love and hate, peace and war, Russell persists in the dogged mission that threatens to claim both his career and his personal happiness, finally driving him to the brink of insanity.

This story is at the same time a historical novel and an accessible explication of some of the biggest ideas of mathematics and modern philosophy. With rich characterizations and expressive, atmospheric artwork, the book spins the pursuit of these ideas into a highly satisfying tale.

Probing and ingeniously layered, the book throws light on Russell's inner struggles while setting them in the context of the timeless questions he spent his life trying to answer. At its heart, Logicomix is a story about the conflict between an ideal rationality and the unchanging, flawed fabric of reality.

#622  GlennD 07-05-2022, 02:32 PM
Chivalry, written by Neil Gaiman with art by Colleen Doran, is on sale at Amazon for $5.99. Normal price is $11.99. This came out in April so seeing it for around half price is pretty nice.

#623  ZodWallop 07-06-2022, 10:30 AM
Quote GlennD
Chivalry, written by Neil Gaiman with art by Colleen Doran, is on sale at Amazon for $5.99. Normal price is $11.99. This came out in April so seeing it for around half price is pretty nice.
Oh, Colleen Doran. I wish she would get her A Distant Soil stuff all figured out and released.

#624  GlennD 07-06-2022, 02:18 PM
Quote ZodWallop
Oh, Colleen Doran. I wish she would get her A Distant Soil stuff all figured out and released.
ha! I've been a fan since the first story in one of the Elfquest comics. I understand why she hasn't finished it (she doesn't have an income when she's working on her own "commission"), but I'd love to see it completed.

Still, it's hard to complain that an artist I really enjoy is gainfully employed creating other work that I can read.

#625  ZodWallop 07-07-2022, 08:45 AM
Quote GlennD
ha! I've been a fan since the first story in one of the Elfquest comics. I understand why she hasn't finished it (she doesn't have an income when she's working on her own "commission"), but I'd love to see it completed.

Still, it's hard to complain that an artist I really enjoy is gainfully employed creating other work that I can read.
I'm talking about a digital release of what has already been released in paper. There were... 42 issues published, I think?

Digitally there are two collections (bought those) and there are issues 1-6 and then 39-42 (which has a teaser saying only 9 issues left!).

I'm not even criticizing. I'm sure there are likely good reasons it hasn't all been digitized yet. I'm just wishing...

#626  ZodWallop 07-23-2022, 10:51 PM
A bunch of Clive Barker's comic work is on sale right now. Average of $4 a pop, but these are collections of several comic issues.

The one series I would recommend most is Clive Barker's Next Testament. This is essentially a brand new Barker book, but printed as a comic series instead. Three books collect the entire twelve issue series. Recommended.

Hellraiser Masterpieces: This collects short stories originally published in the 1990's Marvel/Epic Hellraiser comic series. Barker didn't write these stories, but Epic was able to get a stable of top notch writers and artists to put their spin on the cenobites.

Hellraiser: This is a newer series published by Boom! (I think?). It actually had Barker's involvement.

Clive Barker's Nightbreed Archive: This one is expensive at $11.50, but it's a 400+ page collection of the 1990's Epic Comics series. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the series. But the first four issues are an adaptation of the movie with art by Cam Kennedy. It's one of my favorite comic adaptations.

Nightbreed: This is a newer series published by Boom! Again, I believe Barker was involved in the series.

#627  salty-horse 08-11-2022, 04:42 AM
Witch Hat Atelier vol. 1 by Kamome Shirahama is $1 on Amazon.com
A TOUCH OF MAGIC In a world where everyone takes wonders like magic spells and dragons for granted, Coco is a girl with a simple dream: She wants to be a witch. But everybody knows magicians are born, not made, and Coco was not born with a gift for magic. Resigned to her un-magical life, Coco is about to give up on her dream to become a witch…until the day she meets Qifrey, a mysterious, traveling magician. After secretly seeing Qifrey perform magic in a way she’s never seen before, Coco soon learns what everybody “knows” might not be the truth, and discovers that her magical dream may not be as far away as it may seem…

#628  FourOhFour 08-11-2022, 07:18 AM
Quote salty-horse
Witch Hat Atelier vol. 1 by Kamome Shirahama is $1 on Amazon.com
This is part of Kodansha's summer sale, which ends Monday the 22nd, and should be valid at the other stores too. https://kodansha.us/2022/08/09/end-of-summer-line-wide-sale/

Edit to add: Kodansha's website has longer samples than Amazon provides. Here's Witch Hat Atelier's: https://kodansha.us/series/witch-hat-atelier/

#629  salty-horse 08-11-2022, 08:21 AM
I think most of these were previously available in a recent Humble Bundle (which I passed on, because I was only interested in WHA)

#630  GA Russell 08-25-2022, 06:39 PM
Dilbert: A Treasury Of Sunday Strips - $1.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E5BY5RY

I count six other Dilbert books at $1.99.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (63/64)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register