Mobileread
My kobo reader did not have the 100 free books
#1  JohnN 05-13-2010, 05:28 PM
I just bought my kobo reader from Walmart because Indigo books at the Eaton Centre (Toronto) and the Chapters store on John St didn't have any. I called around a few Walmarts until I found one. Alas, it's white.

I synced up my kobo library, etc. It's there, but no free books.

Hmmm. I didn't issue any sqlite commands, promise!

John

#2  ttluisa 05-13-2010, 06:11 PM
I actually prefer to download the public domain books that I wanted instead of the pre-loaded 100 classics that can't be removed.
Anyway I suppose you can exchange it if you prefer the pre-loaded books. Don't see much this kind of problem, it's probably very rare.

#3  Bureaucromancer 05-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I would agree, just download them. They should all be on the Kobo store, and are certainly all on Gutenberg.

#4  DaleDe 05-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Quote Bureaucromancer
I would agree, just download them. They should all be on the Kobo store, and are certainly all on Gutenberg.
I believe the Kobo site has a download file that gets them all at once. Otherwise you can just pick and choose, the best place is right here at Mobile Read.

Dale

#5  Bureaucromancer 05-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Quote DaleDe
I believe the Kobo site has a download file that gets them all at once. Otherwise you can just pick and choose, the best place is right here at Mobile Read.

Dale
If anyone know where such a file exists could they give me a link?

#6  frozennorth 05-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Here is kobo's list of the 100 books (not a download link though). They should all be puplic domain. Just pick and choose which ones you want. I agree with Dale that the best place to download them from is right here. The books here are usually much better formatted and you can delete them when your done with them. From what I read the way kobo installs them they are very difficult to remove.

If I were you I would actually consider myself lucky not to have to jump through hoops to delete books I'm not interested in.

I wonder if all the Kobo readers at Walmart come without the books preinstalled.

#7  Bureaucromancer 05-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Quote frozennorth
I wonder if all the Kobo readers at Walmart come without the books preinstalled.
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised given the way they've advertised the 100 books. Does the box it came in advertise them?

#8  auriel 05-13-2010, 10:29 PM
^ It does, there's a circle on the front that says "100 free eBooks included" and it's mentioned on the inside, where the inside box folds open.

#9  Drewster 05-14-2010, 12:00 AM
I think you should be able to download all the 100 titles included in the Kobo, and more, from Project Gutenberg.

#10  JohnN 05-14-2010, 04:43 AM
'twas a bigger problem than that. My books won't sync with the kobo desk app (I tried on my Mac and my PC) - the reader keeps on saying "No books". I must have synced it 100 times.

It started misbehaving when I tried to transfer some scientific journal articles (in PDF format) across. They were on my 4 GB SD card. I plugged it in, and it froze. After about 30 minutes, the slide bar hadn't moved, so I reset it with a paper clip. Now I cannot see anything on it.

Aargh. I think it's going back to the store.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register