Mobileread
Sony 10,3" Color E-Reader (DPT-CP1 Version 2)
#1  ky├┤dai 02-28-2021, 01:14 PM
Sony is the next company to present an eReader with a color eInk display, according to GoodEReader.

-> https://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-sony-digital-paper-color

Version 2 of the DPT-CP1 is equipped with yet another iteration of eInk's Kaleido color display, called "Kaleido 2.5" and gets a few other under the hood updates.

There is no price or release date, yet, and like it's predecessors the device will launch exclusively in Japan for now.

Here are some of the specs:

- 10.3" Color eInk display (Carta display, with Kaleido 2,5 color filter)
- 1404 x 1872 pixel (227 PPI) black/white resolution
- Color resolution / Number of colors: unknown
- WACOM touch display
- Front light (27 LEDs)
- Cortex A53 Quad-core CPU (1.8 GHZ)
- 32 GB internal storage
- USB-C
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Android 9

(Video and images from GoodEreader.com)

YouTube clip »
P1010184-scaled.jpg P1010211-scaled.jpg P1010199-scaled.jpg 

#2  Pajamaman 02-28-2021, 02:33 PM
Say it's the bridge between Kaleido 2 and 3, and 3 was on display, but they were not allowed to photo it. Color is coming along leaps and bounds. I expect it to be mainstream within 12-18 months. The question is if Amazon can see a way to sell color books.

#3  j.p.s 02-28-2021, 03:19 PM
Quote Pajamaman
The question is if Amazon can see a way to sell color books.
They already do. Amazon books delivered to e-ink kindles sometimes have color images.

#4  JSWolf 02-28-2021, 03:50 PM
Does it handle ePub or is it yet another PDF only device?

#5  Pajamaman 02-28-2021, 04:09 PM
Quote j.p.s
They already do. Amazon books delivered to e-ink kindles sometimes have color images.
But it will have to be enough to merit producing a color e-reader. I suspect Amazon dropped the big DX because they couldn't control the PDF format. With color, I think Amazon will have embrace a different market. But Amazon are normally the last to bring new tech to market. Id expect a color Kobo first.

#6  rcentros 02-28-2021, 10:08 PM
Quote JSWolf
Does it handle ePub or is it yet another PDF only device?
Good question. When I read "e-Reader," I just assumed it would handle ePubs, but I guess it probably doesn't since the Black & White versions don't.

#7  j.p.s 02-28-2021, 11:12 PM
Quote rcentros
Good question. When I read "e-Reader," I just assumed it would handle ePubs, but I guess it probably doesn't since the Black & White versions don't.
Its model number is from a line that only supported PDF.

#8  JSWolf 03-01-2021, 06:54 AM
Quote j.p.s
Its model number is from a line that only supported PDF.
But they could have changed things to give it a wider appeal. I hope so. PDF only means a 100% no way.

#9  Quoth 03-01-2021, 04:29 PM
It will be only for office work, electronic paper and accessed only via a Sony program. Basically a PDF using eink instead of LCD/OLED Wacom screen/tablet.

An expensive niche product. Sony are not likely to get back into making ereaders. This isn't an ereader.

#10  JSWolf 03-01-2021, 04:40 PM
Quote Quoth
It will be only for office work, electronic paper and accessed only via a Sony program. Basically a PDF using eink instead of LCD/OLED Wacom screen/tablet.

An expensive niche product. Sony are not likely to get back into making ereaders. This isn't an ereader.
But it could be and then it would sell a lot more.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register