Mobileread
Embed video in epub
#1  djames1958 11-23-2020, 03:59 PM
I'm guessing this has been discussed before, but I'm new to the forum.

My understanding is that videos can be embedded (not linking) in epub, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

These aren't huge videos.

Thanks.

#2  DNSB 11-23-2020, 10:16 PM
You might have been better off asking in the E-Book Formats => ePub forum.

However, an epub3 ebook with a bit of JavaScript can play an embedded video. A non-starter for me since I most read on eInk readers. eInk displays and videos are not a good mix.

For a sample epub3 with video, check the EPUB 3 Samples Table page for the Creative Commons Shared Culture ebook. Be prepared for a mass of your reading system does not support this errors using many renderers though the calibre ebook viewer seems happy enough with it.

#3  issybird 11-24-2020, 07:08 AM
Moved from the General forum. Please request that a post be moved rather than reposting. Thanks.

#4  Quoth 11-24-2020, 09:16 AM
It's not any kind of ebook if it's got video. Even with epub3, very few apps will play it. Better to make an app. There are frameworks. Then it works on iOS, Android and can work on Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

An ebook with video is hardly supported on anything and not on any eink ereader.

#5  fbrzvnrnd 11-27-2020, 05:38 PM
Quote Quoth
It's not any kind of ebook if it's got video. Even with epub3, very few apps will play it. .
Why? Apple Books, ADE and Gitden Reader, for example, are able to play videos.

#6  DNSB 11-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Quote fbrzvnrnd
And when I am editing, Sigil and calibre's editor will play the video, etc. Otherwise, my ereaders don't play videos. I tested 3 IOS apps and 5 Android apps and none of those would play a video. Heck, none of them had even half decent support for epub3 features such as aside.

Betting that your customers will be able to play that video on their devices doesn't fit with my lowest common denominator practices when editing ebooks.

#7  binaryhermit 11-27-2020, 07:51 PM
Out of morbid curiosity, how poorly does an ereader that doesn't do video handle an ePub with video

#8  fbrzvnrnd 11-28-2020, 12:56 AM
Quote DNSB
And when I am editing, Sigil and calibre's editor will play the video, etc. Otherwise, my ereaders don't play videos. I tested 3 IOS apps and 5 Android apps and none of those would play a video. Heck, none of them had even half decent support for epub3 features such as aside.
3 iOs apps not playing the video? Are you sure they had EPUB3 support? And: Apple Books did not play the video? This seems really strange to me.
On Android I could play video on e-ink, it seems strange to me you could not with a tablet...

#9  JSWolf 11-28-2020, 09:21 AM
Even if the video played on an eInk Reader, most Readers do not have sound.

#10  Quoth 11-28-2020, 10:52 AM
Quote fbrzvnrnd
It's possible to train a dog to have cigar in its mouth and walk on its hind legs.

Just because something works on some platforms doesn't make a really bad idea good. Multimedia is video, sound and text. Interaction is optional. That's easily done in an App that runs on everything without a compatible host app. Except eink or other dedicated ereaders, which won't do video anyway in an ebook. There is a Binatone LCD ereader that separately can do plain videos. Not Multimedia. Another Binatone device with a QWERTY keyboard is actually an early Android tablet. Some Android apps can be loaded via USB (sideload), mostly older ones. It can't do video IN an ebook, only standalone videos and apps.

Just because it's possible to create a kind of epub with video doesn't mean you should. No-one should, ever. Get a simple App framework.

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register