Mobileread
New Leaf Still Life by Louise Penny
#41  JSWolf 12-06-2020, 06:19 PM
Quote Victoria
I’ve done that before and it worked out well. There was an Inspector Lynley that I stalled against. A few years later, I just skipped ahead in the series, and it was fine. Once you know the main characters, you can pick up any missing pieces from the context.
For me, it would depend on how far into the book I was when it stalled.

#42  issybird 12-06-2020, 06:47 PM
Quote Victoria
I’ve done that before and it worked out well. There was an Inspector Lynley that I stalled against. A few years later, I just skipped ahead in the series, and it was fine. Once you know the main characters, you can pick up any missing pieces from the context.
Hah! I’m betting it was the one where Helen was gunned down on the front steps and the rest was about the shooter. I bailed on that one and never went back (but I’d already had issues with the series, so it was in the nature of a final straw).

#43  Victoria 12-17-2020, 01:43 PM
Quote issybird
Hah! I’m betting it was the one where Helen was gunned down on the front steps and the rest was about the shooter. I bailed on that one and never went back (but I’d already had issues with the series, so it was in the nature of a final straw).
Yes - outrageous . I had issues with the series too, and eventually gave up. The books became disjointed, and were not at all true to the characters. She started churning out provocative plots, rather than deal with the gaps in the writing. It almost felt like a different author had taken over.

#44  CRussel 12-17-2020, 04:02 PM
Quote Victoria
Yes - outrageous . I had issues with the series too, and eventually gave up. The books became disjointed, and were not at all true to the characters. She started churning out provocative plots, rather than deal with the gaps in the writing. It almost felt like a different author had taken over.
I found that I could no longer read[ the series, but could happily listen to the audio books. Not sure why, but they seemed to work better for me. Of course, eventually I let them fade away as well, but well after the one where Helen is shot.

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register