Mobileread
Calibre Companion Not Showing All Covers
#1  seacity1 06-11-2013, 01:10 PM
I have 683 books listed in Calibre Companion on my Nook HD+. About 30 of them do not show covers (all epub) even though the covers show in up in the Nook library & on my shelves. All of these books have covers which show up in the Metadata in Calibre but they don't show up in the metadata info in Calibre Companion. I even went back into Calibre & did epub/epub conversions to make sure the cover was "bound" to the book & did a new "sync" operation. The covers still do not show up - only the book title.

This is very strange as I am even showing covers for PDF books when no covers shows in the Nook library. (the Nook library does not show covers for PDF)

Not sure what the problem is or what to try next. Any idea?

#2  chaley 06-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Are they covers unusual in some way? Very large or very small? Have you changed the cover size in CC's settings? When you connect to calibre as a wireless device, do these books have a check in i the in-library column in the device view?

#3  DoctorOhh 06-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Quote seacity1
About 30 of them do not show covers (all epub) even though the covers show in up in the Nook library & on my shelves. All of these books have covers which show up in the Metadata in Calibre but they don't show up in the metadata info in Calibre Companion.
After ensuring I actually have all 30 books in my calibre library I would; delete the 30 books from my device; power cycle the device; then resend those 30 books back to the Nook.

Quote seacity1
I even went back into Calibre & did epub/epub conversions to make sure the cover was "bound" to the book & did a new "sync" operation.
Unlike some readers CC does not care what is in the book, it syncs the cover in calibre to CC.

Quote seacity1
This is very strange as I am even showing covers for PDF books when no covers shows in the Nook library. (the Nook library does not show covers for PDF)
As I stated above CC does not get the cover from the book but from Calibre.

#4  seacity1 06-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Quote chaley
Are they covers unusual in some way? Very large or very small? Have you changed the cover size in CC's settings? When you connect to calibre as a wireless device, do these books have a check in i the in-library column in the device view?
There is nothing unusual about the cover size & they do all show up when I connect to Calibre as a wireless device. Most of them had already been side-loaded prior to installing Calibre Companion. The covers show up in the Nook library & on the shelves I've created in the Nook. The only place they do not show up is in Calibre Companion. I have tried removing them & adding them back in but the outcome is the same.

Since the covers show up in the Nook library I guess I'll just live with it. However, it's just really strange & I wish I knew why it was happening so I can avoid it in the future.

#5  chaley 06-13-2013, 02:59 AM
Well, I am confused too. Looking at the code, if the following are all true then calibre will send a cover and CC will display it.

1) Calibre has "metadata management" set to "automatic". Turning on the wireless device driver does this, but it could be turned off. Check at preferences -> sending to device -> metadata management.

2) When CC is connected as a wireless device, the book shows up in the device view and has a check mark in the "in library" column.

3) There isn't a second book showing somewhere in the device column that is an almost-duplicate of the first and does not have the in-library check.

4) The book has a cover shown in edit metadata for that book.

One thing to try to be absolutely sure that the book in CC is the one in calibre. Put an unusual tag on one of the books, one that exists no where else. Connect your device and let it sync. Is that tag now in CC both in grouping and in the view metadata window for the book? And the book still has no cover? If so, it might help to see a calibre debug log for the connection. Instructions for making a debug log are in the CC FAQ answer How do I get help?. To save yourself some trouble you might want to start the debug log before you connect the device just in case the tag appears, so you won't need to repeat the experiment.

#6  PatNY 06-13-2013, 05:33 PM
I just uploaded 698 epubs to Calibre Companion on a new Nook HD using the wireless connection to Calibre. Every single cover shows up fine. So, seacity, if you can't figure out what the issue is based on the suggestions given so far, I'd be happy to try to troubleshoot the problem if you pm me with a download link to one of the epubs you are having an issue with. Since I have virtually the same hardware and software you are using, I can try out your file and see if it's working for me. That may help pinpoint where the problem lies.

--Pat

#7  DoctorOhh 06-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Quote seacity1
I have tried removing them & adding them back in but the outcome is the same.
After you removed them did you power cycle your Nook before adding them back in?

#8  seacity1 06-14-2013, 01:59 AM
Quote chaley
Well, I am confused too. Looking at the code, if the following are all true then calibre will send a cover and CC will display it.

1) Calibre has "metadata management" set to "automatic". Turning on the wireless device driver does this, but it could be turned off. Check at preferences -> sending to device -> metadata management.

2) When CC is connected as a wireless device, the book shows up in the device view and has a check mark in the "in library" column.

3) There isn't a second book showing somewhere in the device column that is an almost-duplicate of the first and does not have the in-library check.

4) The book has a cover shown in edit metadata for that book.

One thing to try to be absolutely sure that the book in CC is the one in calibre. Put an unusual tag on one of the books, one that exists no where else. Connect your device and let it sync. Is that tag now in CC both in grouping and in the view metadata window for the book? And the book still has no cover? If so, it might help to see a calibre debug log for the connection. Instructions for making a debug log are in the CC FAQ answer How do I get help?. To save yourself some trouble you might want to start the debug log before you connect the device just in case the tag appears, so you won't need to repeat the experiment.
I did some experimenting. For starters I am certain all the books are are on the device. I can see them in the Nook library, I can open them & they do have covers. With my device attached by USB I can also see them in Explorer in the default folder on the device. I can also click on them & they will open in ADE & the covers show up.

On my computer this is what happens when I am connected wirelessly. If I click on device view in Calibre the books with the missing covers show up on the list, but no check mark, no cover. When I switch to library view, no check mark but the cover does appear when I open the book.

When I connect by USB same situation in device view (listed/no check/cover). But when I switch to library view all but 5 of the books are checked & covers show up.

Since only 30 books out of 684 are affected I probably should leave well enough alone since I know the books are there & the covers do exist. However, it bugging me so I will try one more time. I am going to try removing & adding them back again. This time I will do them one @ a time & do a shut down after each one to see if that makes any difference in the outcome.

Thanks for everyone's help & suggestions.

#9  seacity1 06-14-2013, 02:05 AM
Quote DoctorOhh
After you removed them did you power cycle your Nook before adding them back in?
Yes I did a shut down before adding the books back again. Per my note above I am going to repeat the process & see if I can get a different out come.

#10  DoctorOhh 06-14-2013, 02:09 AM
Quote seacity1
Yes I did a shut down before adding the books back again. Per my note above I am going to repeat the process & see if I can get a different out come.
When I say add them back I am referring to using CC to add them to the Nook.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register