Mobileread
What uses more juice, default mode or dark mode?
#1  Luffy 09-24-2020, 01:03 PM
Hope someone can enlighten me on the matter.

#2  j.p.s 09-24-2020, 02:58 PM
Quote Luffy
Hope someone can enlighten me on the matter.
Should be the same.

#3  Luffy 09-24-2020, 02:59 PM
Quote j.p.s
Should be the same.
Thanks. Others are free to chime in.

#4  hobnail 09-24-2020, 03:15 PM
I would guess dark mode would since it has to turn on more pixels, and then only if you're turning pages at a furious rate. On the other hand I have page refresh set for every page so it wouldn't make any difference for me.

#5  j.p.s 09-24-2020, 03:19 PM
Quote hobnail
I would guess dark mode would since it has to turn on more pixels, and then only if you're turning pages at a furious rate. On the other hand I have page refresh set for every page so it wouldn't make any difference for me.
The number of pixels changed is the same for either mode. The "pixels" are a bunch of half-white half-black spheres whose orientations are changed to control the shade of gray.

#6  Luffy 09-24-2020, 03:24 PM
Quote hobnail
Well, I hope to get more constructive views before making up my mind.

#7  hobnail 09-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Quote Luffy
Well, I hope to get more constructive views before making up my mind.
The edges of the letters may change depending on the mode. This is certainly true with print and crt, lcd, etc. due to bleed, but I don't know if it's an issue with e-ink. Back in the days of crt monitors my favorite font looked great with white text on a black background but changing it to black on white made it horrible. CRTs no doubt have a lot more edge bleed than LCDs and e-ink.

#8  j.p.s 09-24-2020, 03:51 PM
Quote hobnail
The edges of the letters may change depending on the mode. This is certainly true with print and crt, lcd, etc. due to bleed, but I don't know if it's an issue with e-ink. Back in the days of crt monitors my favorite font looked great with white text on a black background but changing it to black on white made it horrible. CRTs no doubt have a lot more edge bleed than LCDs and e-ink.
Those are appearance issues that have nothing to do with power use for e-ink devices.

#9  hobnail 09-24-2020, 03:59 PM
Quote j.p.s
Those are appearance issues that have nothing to do with power use for e-ink devices.
Agreed; I thought I'd point it out so that there's more to consider in the long run.

#10  JSWolf 09-24-2020, 04:52 PM
It takes more power to switch modes. But once switched, it should take the same as it would be the same changes after that. But there is one difference that I've found. I've found that in night (dark) mode that the light needs to be at a higher level then it does iday (normal) mode. That will take more power.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register