Mobileread
Terraforming sci-fi?
#1  SleepyBob 09-23-2020, 02:37 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for books where terraforming a planet/moon is a significant part of the story?

There's the Kim Stanley Robinson "Mars" series, and Dennis Taylor's Bobiverse has some in it, but I'm not sure what else is out there. I did some googling and only came up with some older books that were largely out of print.

#2  Dazrin 09-23-2020, 03:30 PM
You mentioned them but if you haven't read them, I really enjoyed the Mars series.

I've not encountered any other books that are focused on terraforming; although, I would call Neil Stephenson's Seveneves a terraforming book too (in the most literal sense.)

There are some parts of the Honor Harrington series that deal with this (Grayson) and it looks like parts of the Vorkosigan saga do as well, but they are not stand alone works and the focus is elsewhere (at least for HH.)

I see a couple lists when Googling this that include some other books but I assume you've found those too.

#3  rantanplan 09-24-2020, 05:49 AM
Well, there is Terra Formars, a manga series about mutated cockroaches on a terraformed mars which was also adapted into an anime series and live action movies.
It's as deep as it sounds but it's fun trash.

#4  Pulpmeister 09-24-2020, 06:17 AM
Vintage example; The Sands of Mars, Arthur C Clarke, 1951.

#5  Uncle Robin 09-24-2020, 06:23 AM
Mention of KSR's Mars trilogy (which I loved) reminded me of his Aurora, toward the end of which he devotes a lengthy paragraph to basically saying he got it wrong with Mars, and that terraforming Mars would take millennia, if it were achievable. A very rare thing to read from an author, especially of a work that brought him acclaim.

#6  Pajamaman 09-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Robert Charles Wilson's Spin includes a non-major but fascinating terraforming element.

#7  pdurrant 09-24-2020, 08:54 AM
Quote SleepyBob
Does anyone have any recommendations for books where terraforming a planet/moon is a significant part of the story?
Perhaps Heinlein's Farmer in the Sky, about a teenaged boy who emigrates with his family to Jupiter's moon Ganymede, which is in the process of being terraformed.

#8  SleepyBob 09-24-2020, 12:37 PM
I read the Mars series, but enjoyed them less and less as the series progressed and became more about politics than terraforming. I didn't read #4 yet.

#9  jselby 10-02-2020, 11:08 PM
Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky has a terraforming aspect. If I recall correctly it focuses more on evolution than on the process of terraforming a planet. So it may not be exactly what you're looking for. It was an interesting read, though.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25499718-children-of-time

There is a sequel to the book (Children of Ruin) which I have not yet read.

#10  darryl 10-03-2020, 03:30 AM
As I recall John Christopher's old YA Tripod trilogy has a chilling take on terraforming.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register