Mobileread
Some books can't be aligned as "Justified."
#1  Emissarius 09-22-2020, 05:23 AM
A few Kindle E-books' texts are "left-aligned" and when I hit on the "Aa" icon at the top and try to change the alignment to "justified," nothing changes at all. Tried restarting my Kindle. I even refunded the book and purchased it again. Still nothing. I'm used to reading books as fully justified just like physical books are. How can I solve this?

#2  JSWolf 09-22-2020, 07:06 AM
Quote Emissarius
A few Kindle E-books' texts are "left-aligned" and when I hit on the "Aa" icon at the top and try to change the alignment to "justified," nothing changes at all. Tried restarting my Kindle. I even refunded the book and purchased it again. Still nothing. I'm used to reading books as fully justified just like physical books are. How can I solve this?
If you are not using Calibre, you will have to do so. You will also have to install the DeDRM plugin found at https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com

Once you have Calibre up and running with the DeDRM plugin configured correctly (if you need help configuring the DeDRM plugin, you can ask for help at the above URL), you can download your Kindle eBooks by going to Amazon > Manage Your Content and Devices > clck the ... next tot he eBook and select Download & transfer via USB.

After you have the eBook, put it in your Calibre library and the DRM will be removed. You should have a KF8 (AZW3) eBook which you can load into the Calibre eBook editor. You can go into the CSS and fix the justification to how you want.

If you need any help with Calibre, ask for help in the Calibre forum here on Mobilread.

#3  j.p.s 09-22-2020, 12:32 PM
Quote Emissarius
That violates amazon's publishing guidelines.

You can report it to amazon and they will require the publisher to change it.

#4  tomsem 09-22-2020, 01:10 PM
Quote j.p.s
That violates amazon's publishing guidelines.

You can report it to amazon and they will require the publisher to change it.
This may be the case with KDP, but ‘regular’ publishers can do what they want. I have books where justification setting cannot be changed. And of course personal documents do not have Alignment setting (unless you use calibre and side-load).

For example, I have a very boring textbook called Recommender Systems published by Springer. Justification is on and you cannot turn it off. I downloaded the sample for Apple Books and while you can change justification, it displays in two-column spread whether it is in landscape or portrait (which is worse, IMO). Fortunately I didn’t pay the usual $55 for it: Amazon had a sale and I think it only cost about $5.

By all means report to Amazon (on Kindle there’s Report Content Error feature) but I would not expect anything to change.

#5  j.p.s 09-22-2020, 01:28 PM
Quote tomsem
This may be the case with KDP, but ‘regular’ publishers can do what they want.
They may be able to do what they want, but they can't necessarily get away with it. Just ask mobileread member Hitch, an e-book professional.

I'm sure large publishers can get away with more than smaller 'regular' publishers, but they are also subject to amazon's rules. Amazon may be lax about oversight, but if a complaint gets to the right person in the right mood, the book will be pulled from sale until a compliant version is submitted.

I have books where justification setting cannot be changed. And of course personal documents do not have Alignment setting (unless you use calibre and side-load).

For example, I have a very boring textbook called Recommender Systems published by Springer. Justification is on and you cannot turn it off. I downloaded the sample for Apple Books and while you can change justification, it displays in two-column spread whether it is in landscape or portrait (which is worse, IMO). Fortunately I didn’t pay the usual $55 for it: Amazon had a sale and I think it only cost about $5.

By all means report to Amazon (on Kindle there’s Report Content Error feature) but I would not expect anything to change.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register