Mobileread
"Mirroring" the system on Kobo Clara
#1  Daratzatzara 09-16-2020, 07:30 AM
Hey,
I just bought a Kobo Clara HD eReader from AliExpress, and they sent a defective device. Since the first time I turned it on it has problems. Most of the times it gets stuck in the process of turning on, and so i have to shut it down by pressing 10 sec on the power button, and try again.
I got lucky a couple of times, but then i tried to update the firmware, and in the middle of copying the files from the PC, the device got disconnected (bcs it got stuck again), and since then I have even more problems.

The device restored to factory settings, and every time I succeed of getting it turn on (without it getting stuck), Kobo PC software preforms an update, and the device reboots. But every reboot without exception, it gets stuck.

I've talked with the store on AliExpress and they told me the software is corrupted, and that I have to "mirror" my system. Does anybody has any idea? May i just be a problem in the hardware?

Thanks for replying, Hadar.

#2  JSWolf 09-16-2020, 07:43 AM
Quote Daratzatzara
Hey,
I just bought a Kobo Clara HD eReader from AliExpress, and they sent a defective device. Since the first time I turned it on it has problems. Most of the times it gets stuck in the process of turning on, and so i have to shut it down by pressing 10 sec on the power button, and try again.
I got lucky a couple of times, but then i tried to update the firmware, and in the middle of copying the files from the PC, the device got disconnected (bcs it got stuck again), and since then I have even more problems.

The device restored to factory settings, and every time I succeed of getting it turn on (without it getting stuck), Kobo PC software preforms an update, and the device reboots. But every reboot without exception, it gets stuck.

I've talked with the store on AliExpress and they told me the software is corrupted, and that I have to "mirror" my system. Does anybody has any idea? May i just be a problem in the hardware?

Thanks for replying, Hadar.
Given that you just bought it, there's no reason you need to tinker with it to try to get it working. Mirroring require you to open the case, remove the SD card, make a copy of it and put the copy back in. The seller should replace it for you.

#3  davidfor 09-16-2020, 08:44 AM
Quote Daratzatzara
Hey,

I think they mean "reimage". That is, get a good image for the SD card and write it to the card. Based on what you describe, the card is corrupt, and possibly failing.

The things I would do are:
I suspect you can't return it. So try the factory reset. If that doesn't work, then try the image.

#4  cooldavidt 09-17-2020, 02:30 PM
When I select a book and Send To Device I get this error
calibre, version 4.23.0
ERROR: Error while saving: Failed to save any books to disk, click "Show details" for more information

Failed to save: Swann by Shields, Carol to disk, with error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/save.py", line 175, in do_one_write
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/save.py", line 221, in write_book
File "lib/python2.7/os.py", line 150, in makedirs
File "lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/Volumes/KOBOeReader/Shields, Carol'

Any idea why? New Kobo Clara, Calire has the Kobo Plugins

#5  DNSB 09-17-2020, 03:42 PM
Quote cooldavidt
When I select a book and Send To Device I get this error
calibre, version 4.23.0
ERROR: Error while saving: Failed to save any books to disk, click "Show details" for more information

Failed to save: Swann by Shields, Carol to disk, with error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/save.py", line 175, in do_one_write
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/save.py", line 221, in write_book
File "lib/python2.7/os.py", line 150, in makedirs
File "lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/Volumes/KOBOeReader/Shields, Carol'

Any idea why? New Kobo Clara, Calire has the Kobo Plugins
Looks as if your computer is blocking write access. At a WEG, it's a Mac.

If so, click on the Kobo ereader mounted on the desktop, then File => Get Info and see what it says under Sharing and Permissions at the bottom.

#6  Daratzatzara 09-18-2020, 07:27 AM
Quote JSWolf
Given that you just bought it, there's no reason you need to tinker with it to try to get it working. Mirroring require you to open the case, remove the SD card, make a copy of it and put the copy back in. The seller should replace it for you.
thank you, the changing of SD card did not work, so I'm in the process of shipping it back.

#7  cooldavidt 09-18-2020, 10:53 AM
Thanks David DNSB
Permissions does show 'You have custom access'. It does not seem I can change that. It is a KOBO so it is a MS-DOS FAT 32.
I have the KOBO Plug ins installed on the KOBO.
David

#8  DNSB 09-18-2020, 08:47 PM
Quote cooldavidt
Thanks David DNSB
Permissions does show 'You have custom access'. It does not seem I can change that. It is a KOBO so it is a MS-DOS FAT 32.
I have the KOBO Plug ins installed on the KOBO.
David
Have you done any internet searches on how to change permissions? One example is Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac. This link is for Mojave but pretty much identical for High Sierra and Catalina.

#9  cooldavidt 09-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Quote DNSB
Have you done any internet searches on how to change permissions? One example is Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac. This link is for Mojave but pretty much identical for High Sierra and Catalina.
Good morning David
I have done an internet search.
the 'custom access' is not included in the types of info you are expected to find in Get Info.

I suspect in is KOBO OS rejecting the attempt to load non KOBO books into their ereader.

I suspect the Calibre patches in the Plugins are not working for me.

#10  PeterT 09-19-2020, 03:11 PM
Quote cooldavidt
I suspect in is KOBO OS rejecting the attempt to load non KOBO books into their ereader.

I suspect the Calibre patches in the Plugins are not working for me.
Sorry to say but NO. Sideloading íf content via either calibre or finder is fully supported by Kobo. The error you are receiving just indicates that the Kobo is mounted read-only due to some MacOS setting. It's possible that if you could tell us what version of MacOS you are using that we might be able to google for a solution.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register