Mobileread
EPUB problem - iBooks questions
#1  helpplease 09-13-2020, 09:24 PM
Hi
New to ePub Creation. Newbie Sigil user. I am new to this forum and could not find a general epub creation QnA section, for sigil epub creation. Hope this is correct place.

1) Contents showing on device TOC
In iBooks device TOC, the "Contents" page is not listed in device TOC. What is controlling this?

In ADE device TOC, the "Contents" page is listed in the device TOC correctly.

2) iBooks for some epubs has option tap to show number of pages ebook, tap to show number of pages Apple iBooks

What is controlling this feature?

Thankyou kindly for your time

#2  KevinH 09-13-2020, 10:31 PM
Since nothing here is Sigil related. Please ask your general ePub questions in the ePub forum on this site, not the Sigil forum.

#3  Doitsu 09-14-2020, 09:18 AM
Quote helpplease
In iBooks device TOC, the "Contents" page is not listed in device TOC. What is controlling this?
If your book isn't an Pub3 book, you might want to convert it to an epub3 book with the ePub3-itizer plugin. Make sure that it passes EPUBCheck before you do the conversion.

Quote helpplease
2) iBooks for some epubs has option tap to show number of pages ebook, tap to show number of pages Apple iBooks
You'll need to manually add page break targets and a page list.

#4  JSWolf 09-14-2020, 09:50 AM
Quote helpplease
Hi
New to ePub Creation. Newbie Sigil user. I am new to this forum and could not find a general epub creation QnA section, for sigil epub creation. Hope this is correct place.

The ToC you are looking at the the NCX ToC. That's the external ToC that's easily accessible. There needs to be an entry for the internal ToC. But really, there's no need. You are already at the ToC so why go to the ToC to then go to the ToC to then go where you want when you are already at the ToC?

#5  theducks 09-14-2020, 02:28 PM
And the most wondrous thing about the NCX method:
It does not lose your place when simply checking, as it is NOT A PAGE IN THE BOOK
(Not all reader have a 'jump back' feature)

#6  JSWolf 09-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Quote theducks
And the most wondrous thing about the NCX method:
It does not lose your place when simply checking, as it is NOT A PAGE IN THE BOOK
(Not all reader have a 'jump back' feature)
Well said.

#7  helpplease 09-15-2020, 09:54 PM
Quote JSWolf
The ToC you are looking at the the NCX ToC. That's the external ToC that's easily accessible. There needs to be an entry for the internal ToC. But really, there's no need. You are already at the ToC so why go to the ToC to then go to the ToC to then go where you want when you are already at the ToC?
To verify my understanding.

- clickable ToC = is a text element within EPUB (e.g. 06_Contents.xhtml) -- a page in the book -- correct?

- device ToC = NCX ToC (this can be built and edit using Sigil feature, Tools/Table of Contents/Edit ToC (screenshot)-- correct?
image »

The "Contents" is not showing in device ToC for iBooks, although the contents has been included in NCX
Code
 <navPoint id="navPoint-5" playOrder="5"> <navLabel> <text>Contents</text> </navLabel> <content src="Text/07_Contents1.xhtml"/> </navPoint>
image »
Why Important to me?
I wish to navigate to clickable ToC from the device ToC. Why? Because the clickable ToC gives me context of entire book.I can see the entire book on typically 2 page spread and easier for me to digest. I click on a link in the clickable TOC, check someone out and then click heading and it goes back to my clickable TOC. The epub is techncial content.

In ADE - the Contents Page is showing on device ToC. But in iBooks the Contents Page is not showing. (iBooks on Mac or iBooks on iPAD)

The device ToC I use for navigation for reading new sections as it suits, I step go there.

I hope this makes sense.

#8  helpplease 09-15-2020, 10:02 PM
sorry about the large images. I do not know how to make them smaller. Forum posting is new to me.

In a purchased epub the Contents is showing in the device ToC, for iBooks (mac and IPAD).

please see screenshot
image »

#9  theducks 09-15-2020, 10:05 PM
sorry, but Clickable works for me (non-apple) for every NCX I have used
(Astak, Kindle, Kobo)

#10  Quoth 09-16-2020, 10:10 AM
Never seen a system NCX / Contents that wasn't clickable. We only also have the inline ordinary content page also with links as our Wordprocessor file to epub and thence any other format has it anyway so that the NCX is automatically generated.
The actual human reader doesn't need it. The Paper version has the same page(s) but with the links removed and page numbers automatically inserted.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register