Mobileread
Android 8.1 available for Mars.
#1  ilyats 08-21-2020, 12:28 AM
Boyue announcedhttps://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2787619344801982&id=198495274 5068650 it on its Facebook page

#2  ToasterRGB 08-21-2020, 02:44 AM
I followed the directions and so far my Mars is stuck with a black screen after the update supposedly finished. �� It's still connected to my computer for about half an hour and I'm waiting to see if it suddenly springs to life.

#3  wanderson 08-23-2020, 06:42 PM
Quote ToasterRGB
... I'm waiting to see if it suddenly springs to life.
So, did your Mars recover? I'm strongly considering upgrading mine, but I'd like to backup the ROM first - it isn't obvious that the Rockchip tool can do backup the flash.

#4  ToasterRGB 08-24-2020, 12:42 AM
Quote wanderson
So, did your Mars recover? I'm strongly considering upgrading mine, but I'd like to backup the ROM first - it isn't obvious that the Rockchip tool can do backup the flash.
Nope... I tried again and I think there's something wrong with the image file they uploaded because at the end of the install when your Mars reboots, it displays a message that says "erasing". I've used this same method to update other Android devices without any problems.

#5  ilyats 08-24-2020, 08:24 AM
Quote ToasterRGB
Nope... I tried again and I think there's something wrong with the image file they uploaded because at the end of the install when your Mars reboots, it displays a message that says "erasing". I've used this same method to update other Android devices without any problems.
Other people on Boyue FB page report having successfully installed it, so the file must be OK. Maybe something went wrong during your downloading the image, try to download it again. Or maybe your device has faulty storage or some other defect.

#6  Incanus 08-24-2020, 11:51 AM
Quote ilyats
Other people on Boyue FB page report having successfully installed it, so the file must be OK. Maybe something went wrong during your downloading the image, try to download it again. Or maybe your device has faulty storage or some other defect.
In my case I could upgrade my Likebook Mars Reader to Android 8.1 with no issues on the device part: all of the installed software was erased, of course, but I had my backups so no loss there... just a few restore chores, really.

It's too early to coment on the device battery behaviour and such, but so far:

I'll post here if and when I get more stats or details on how this upgrade works on the Likebook Mars Reader.

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]

#7  DosSantos 08-24-2020, 02:40 PM
Updated to 8.1 last night and didn’t have any issues getting it to update. Going to have to use it for a week or so to give a fair appraisal, but first impressions were not great.

Initial thoughts/concerns:
-Battery: Made sure it was fully charged before doing update and after update (which took about half an hour) and an hour of reading, battery was drained to below 80%. Yes light was on for reading, but on prior firmware it would take a week of night reading (6 to 8 hours over the course of a week) to see the battery drain that much. The majority of the drain might have been during the updating process, so will have to see how it does over time.
-Stock reader: Cuts far more words in half than previous version. Previous version would so this some, but it’s much, much more noticeable now. What I mean is this paragraph on the stock reader could look like this depending on how big you size the font:
Cuts far more words in half than previous ver-
sion. Previous version would so this some, but
it’s much, much more noticeable now. What I m-
ean is this paragraph on the stock reader could lo-
ok like this depending on how big you size the font

It’s annoying to the point that I’m going to have to give another reading app a try. Will try KoReader tonight.

If battery drain continues, I might give reverting back to older firmware a try. Nothing immediately stood out to me as an improvement and so the real reason for updating to 8.1 would be for the added security of a newer OS, but for me I leave wifi off 98% of the time and never make any purchases directly via the eReader.

#8  ToasterRGB 08-24-2020, 03:15 PM
Quote ilyats

Then explain why everything works fine and then it says "erasing" at the end of the install?

Brave enough to try it yourself?

#9  DosSantos 08-24-2020, 04:04 PM
Tried it myself on mine and it worked for me.
Process was a bit different than most other devices I have experience side loading firmware on to, but went slow and followed the directions.

Somethings I found non-standard:
-Likebook Mars needed to be OFF.
-Had to press a paperclip into the device reset hole and keep it pressed until after the firmware image was given the go to start loading.
-Could only connect USB cable after paperclip was pressing the reset button

Other suggestions to try if you haven't already
- not in front of my home PC right now to look at the container that the firmware image was in when downloaded (zip or rar), but if rar, unrar using 7Zip if you used other software to unrar.
- try a different USB cable
- try loading an older firmware image

#10  noboyue 08-24-2020, 05:20 PM
Today I did try the update and it started out as described.
It downloaded the image and showed "Download firmware success". It then did a verify step which was not shown in the upgrade instructions and then it showed the "Reset Device Start".
But then the screen remained black.
After about 15 minutes I did a reset and tried to restore my backup but it seems that the device ID is gone.
The tool sees the likebook as adb device but I cannot switch to loader mode.
Whe I try to read the flash ID or Info I always get a "match device type failed" error.
I then tried to re-install the update.zip via SD card from a link tagged as "Likebook Mars T80D BYRead-V2.2.0-2020011014" which I found here in the forum, but it also failed.
The error message is: This package is for "T80D" devices; this is a ""

Is there a way to get the ID back into place and bring my reader back to life?

Next »  Last »  (1/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register