Mobileread
NickelMenu: An integrated launcher for Kobo eReaders
#1  geek1011 05-01-2020, 05:09 PM
NickelMenu
The easiest way to launch custom scripts, change hidden settings, and run actions on Kobo eReaders.
___

image » image » image » image »

NickelMenu adds custom actions the main, reader, browser, and library menus. It works on firmware 4.6+, and persists between firmware upgrades.

Installation:
  1. Connect your Kobo eReader to your computer over USB.
  2. Download KoboRoot.tgz (release notes) into KOBOeReader/.kobo. You may need to show hidden files to see the folder.
  3. Safely eject your eReader and wait for it to reboot.
  4. Ensure there is a new menu item in the top-left main menu entitled NickelMenu (it will appear in the bottom-right on firmware 4.23.15505+).
  5. Connect you Kobo eReader to your computer again and create a new file (of any type) named KOBOeReader/.adds/nm/config, and follow the instructions in KOBOeReader/.adds/nm/doc to configure NickelMenu.

Features:
Troubleshooting/FAQ:
Credits (initial version):
Contributors:
Screenshots:
See here.

Download | Website | Documentation | Source Code | Release Notes

#2  sherman 05-01-2020, 05:15 PM
Yes, this works! And it's awesome!

I'm working with supporting this with my Kobo-UNCaGED program in the near future.

Huge thanks to geek1011 for all the hard work on this one.

#3  NiLuJe 05-01-2020, 05:18 PM
It is indeed mighty cool .

----

Right, to expand a bit on the current possible interactions with KFMon: currently, that involves a bit of manual labor, in that you'll have to tell NickelMenu which bits of KFMon you'd like to run, and you have to make sure to do so in a way that matches your actual current KFMon setup.

A quick look at the example should make it obvious, but, say, given KOReader's KFMon config:

Code
[watch]
filename = /mnt/onboard/koreader.png
action = /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/koreader.sh
label = Start KOReader
The matching NickelMenu entry for the main menu would be

Code
menu_item : main : Start KOReader : kfmon : koreader.png
(i.e., you want to use the plain filename of the png as the argument ).

----

Ultimately, you'll just be able to say in your NickelMenu config "build me some menus out of the stuff registered in KFMon", and magic happens!
But that's for later .

----

Also, this requires KFMon 1.4.0, released a few minutes ago .

#4  NiLuJe 05-01-2020, 05:22 PM
Oh, and now I remember why I chose KOReader as an example .

Because I know someone is going to try this: you can perfectly well ask to launch KOReader via a NickelMenu cmd_spawn... as long as you're running KOReader >= 2020.05 (right now, that means a current nightly).

Otherwise, stuff may be subtly broken (inside OR outside of KOReader).

#5  geek1011 05-01-2020, 05:24 PM
Random facts, tips and tricks:More coming soon...

#6  John F 05-01-2020, 07:06 PM
Thank you for this great work.

Are you taking requests?

Could you add the capability to set light levels? What I'd like to do is have one menu item for invert AND set light level to 30 and one menu item for invert and light level set to 8.

#7  NiLuJe 05-01-2020, 07:28 PM
Given that the fl is accessible over sysfs, you might able to cobble something together with a cmd_spawn and a chain...

Note that Nickel won't be able to track a frontlight level change made via sysfs, though. (It could, on Mk. 7 only, but I've never bothered to check if it actually did so).

EDIT: Well, it might not even be accessible via sysfs *at all* on Mk. 6 w/o NaturalLight, anyway, so, never mind me .

#8  geek1011 05-01-2020, 07:44 PM
Quote John F
Could you add the capability to set light levels? What I'd like to do is have one menu item for invert AND set light level to 30 and one menu item for invert and light level set to 8.
Yes, that's a pretty simple change to make. I'll do it for the next version.

#9  Carmelocotonto 05-01-2020, 08:14 PM
Hi, this is a great idea, it is fine.
I have tried usb conection, reboot with a 'sh', and I have tried this in the config file

menu_item :main :Coolreader :cmd_spawn :/bin/sh -c mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft/launcher.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

The problem is that when I exit from vlasovsoft program, the items have disappeared and I must install NickelMenu again.

Thanks

Do you know what can be happened?

#10  sherman 05-01-2020, 08:28 PM
Quote Carmelocotonto
Hi, this is a great idea, it is fine.
I have tried usb conection, reboot with a 'sh', and I have tried this in the config file

menu_item :main :Coolreader :cmd_spawn :/bin/sh -c mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft/launcher.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

The problem is that when I exit from vlasovsoft program, the items have disappeared and I must install NickelMenu again.

Thanks

Do you know what can be happened?
I think vlasovsoft triggered the failsafe, because it kills Nickel. Try reinstalling NickelMenu, then wait at least 20 seconds before launching vlasovsoft.

@geek1011 you may want to shorten the failsafe time, or make it configurable.

Next »  Last »  (1/34)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register