Mobileread
Way to minimise audiobook download size?
#1  Lynx-lynx 09-01-2014, 05:16 AM
Is there a way to minimise the download file size? It seems that the bulk of audiobooks that I've looked at at my library (for instance) are 500mb +.

That makes downloading an expensive business when you're on a limited monthly plan.

#2  Sweetpea 09-01-2014, 05:46 AM
You cannot change the files that are served to you. Only once they're at your PC can you (maybe, depending on DRM and such) change it.

#3  Lynx-lynx 09-01-2014, 06:49 AM
Thanks Sweetpea.

Wouldn't you think they'd just provide a zip file option.

#4  Blossom 09-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Quote Lynx-lynx
Is there a way to minimise the download file size? It seems that the bulk of audiobooks that I've looked at at my library (for instance) are 500mb +.

That makes downloading an expensive business when you're on a limited monthly plan.
Audible has options to change the size you download. You will lose quality of sound but it may be your best option.

#5  CRussel 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Audible supports different file size options, but very few modern devices support anything other than Enhanced or Format4, the two largest file size options. Of the two, Format4 is significantly smaller, and of quite acceptable quality from my perception.

For non-Audible books, you can convert formats, using a tool such as dBpoweramp, to reduce quality and thus file size, assuming DRM is either not present or is removed.

#6  David Munch 09-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Quote Lynx-lynx
Thanks Sweetpea.

Wouldn't you think they'd just provide a zip file option.
Since the audiobooks are already compressed, and often use algorithms much newer than those of the ZIP format, the gains would most likely be negligable and thus not worth it for the company.

#7  Blossom 09-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Quote CRussel
Audible supports different file size options, but very few modern devices support anything other than Enhanced or Format4, the two largest file size options. Of the two, Format4 is significantly smaller, and of quite acceptable quality from my perception.

For non-Audible books, you can convert formats, using a tool such as dBpoweramp, to reduce quality and thus file size, assuming DRM is either not present or is removed.
I believe the Audible app supports all formats 1-4 & E.

#8  tubemonkey 09-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Quote Blossom
I believe the Audible app supports all formats 1-4 & E.
What formats work with the Audible for Android app?

Audible titles in Enhanced (contains an ".aax" extension) and format 4 (contains "mp332" in file name) can be played back using the Audible for Android application. To change the download format in the app tap the Android Menu key, tap Settings, tap Download Settings, and tap Download Format. You can choose between Standard and High Quality. High Quality audio is Audible’s highest audio format. Standard Quality audio takes up less space on your device and will download more quickly than High Quality. The default setting is Standard Quality.

#9  Blossom 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Quote tubemonkey
What formats work with the Audible for Android app?
Oh they changed it. I am pretty sure when one Plum book came out I could only download format 2 which sucked they fixed it later that day but I did download it. This was about 2 years ago though and a very old Audible app which I still have on my old phone.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register