Mobileread
Selective paragraph indent
#1  Leonatus 10-24-2013, 05:36 AM
Luke, congratulations to your fantastic tool! I love it!

With OO is it possible to indent paragraphs (i. e. the first line of a paragraph). Works well, but typographically correct is to oppress indenting at the beginning of a new chapter, and I see no way to operate it generally, that means once for the whole document in my OO template.

But, wow, creating an epub with your tool, I see that it creates not-indented first paragraphs after chapter beginning automagically!

How do you control this? - Or, is there a way to anticipate it in OO itself?

(Sure I can create separate css styles and apply them via Sigil etc., but this means hard manual work).

Thanks for your answer!

#2  eBookLuke 10-25-2013, 04:32 AM
HI,

if you avoid blanks lines between headings and text, you'll get what you want…
In the CSS is specified "p+p", so only a paragraph following another paragraph will be indented.
If a paragraph is following an heading, it will be not indented…
Obviously, if you leave a blank paragraph after the heading, that will be the non-indented paragraph

Otherwise, if your first paragraph is following a non-heading style, you need to create a w2e_something style with no indent and apply it manually…

Luke

#3  Leonatus 10-25-2013, 05:00 AM
Quote eBookLuke
In the CSS is specified "p+p", so only a paragraph following another paragraph will be indented.
This is new to me, and I'll try it soon.

Thanks again!

#4  DaleDe 10-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote eBookLuke
HI,

if you avoid blanks lines between headings and text, you'll get what you want…
Obviously, if you leave a blank paragraph after the heading, that will be the non-indented paragraph

Otherwise, if your first paragraph is following a non-heading style, you need to create a w2e_something style with no indent and apply it manually…

Luke
I would think a h2+p would be better for this (or whatever h level you are using). Code the exception as an exception is better since inheritance of other properties on the paragraph would be automatic. If you don't depend in inheritance then either would work.

Dale

#5  Leonatus 10-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Quote DaleDe
I would think a h2+p would be better for this (or whatever h level you are using). Code the exception as an exception is better since inheritance of other properties on the paragraph would be automatic. If you don't depend in inheritance then either would work.
I tested it following your advise, and it really works fantasically. Thus, I economize a lot of work. Thank you once more!

#6  Leonatus 10-31-2013, 03:46 AM
Another question, Luke (at the risk to become a pain in your neck): In the produced epub, hyphenation often takes place (in the German variant) at the "most impossible" locations in the middle of a word, whereas they (mostly) do not in the OO template. Do I have to take care for some special settings in OO to achieve "smarter" hyphenation?
Mille grazie, Luke!

I forgot to mention that, after creating the epub, I usually go through Sigil with it and convert it with Calibre. There are various options to set "smart hyphenation" that I use. But what I notice is that, in epubs not produced with your tool, the result is sometimes more satisfying. So my conclusion is that it could be the OO template that is responsible.

#7  eBookLuke 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Quote Leonatus
In the produced epub, hyphenation often takes place (in the German variant) at the "most impossible" locations in the middle of a word, whereas they (mostly) do not in the OO template. Do I have to take care for some special settings in OO to achieve "smarter" hyphenation?
Nice question!
First: Hyphenation is not handle in the EPUB file, but in the EPUB reading software.
Second, the correct hyphenation is function of the language used, because the hyphenation rules change from a language to another.
So, do you specify the right language in the metadata window of W2E?
If your text is Italian, but you mark the text as German, the reading software will use German rules for hyphenation!

I forgot to mention that, after creating the epub, I usually go through Sigil with it and convert it with Calibre. There are various options to set "smart hyphenation" that I use. But what I notice is that, in epubs not produced with your tool, the result is sometimes more satisfying. So my conclusion is that it could be the OO template that is responsible.
Probably, Calibre just sets the right language…
About Sigil, the latest versions make deep changes in the code, and sometimes introduce errors. Please uncheck "clean source code" in the preferences to avoid damages.
Anyway, if you can send to me the two EPUB, the one as generated by W2E and the other reworked by Calibre I will check them for improvements…

Thanks

Luke

#8  Leonatus 10-31-2013, 03:54 PM
Quote eBookLuke
So, do you specify the right language in the metadata window of W2E?
Yes. I also look at the metadata editor in Sigil.

About Sigil, the latest versions make deep changes in the code, and sometimes introduce errors. Please uncheck "clean source code" in the preferences to avoid damages.
Maybe a good hint! Thanks!

Anyway, if you can send to me the two EPUB, the one as generated by W2E and the other reworked by Calibre I will check them for improvements…
I'll not be here during weekend, but afterwards I'll do it. Simply send you a PM?

#9  eBookLuke 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Quote Leonatus
I'll not be here during weekend, but afterwards I'll do it. Simply send you a PM?
Better if you send the files to writer2epub[at]gmail.com…
Don't forget to write why you send the files, my memory is really weak!

Luke

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register