Mobileread
Using my daughter's Asus Transformer as an eReader...not bad at all
#1  gstephen70 12-26-2011, 07:55 AM
It's pretty cool. The length of the screen allows the whole page to show on one page so that's a big plus. No real font size options, but you can zoom. You can also change to black on white or white on black. Which she thinks is super cool. Anything to get her to read more.

Honestly, when I bought the Transformer, I didn't give it a second thought as an eReader, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Just goes to show, Asus Transformer, and the soon to be released Asus Prime, are actually better than the iPad2. I love it as a tablet, she loves it for the media it plays without having to convert every d**n thing into either mp4 or some other obscure format. And oh yeah, Flash baby. Flash baby. Flash baby. I can't get tired of saying that to all my Apple diehard friends. Well, nowadays, not so much friends as frenemies. ASUS TRANSFORMER PRIME will rule. ASUS TRANSFORMER rules. 32GB. Drag and drop anything.It is amazing. And ladies and gents, it plays ePub and PDF, and a slew of other formats.

ASUS 1
iPad 2 0

Flame suit on. HeHe.

#2  Sweetpea 12-27-2011, 03:43 AM
It all depends on the application you're using for reading. Most apps will support font-size changes. I don't know what apps are pre-installed on the Transformer, but there are plenty of reader apps out there, that will offer the ability of day/night settings, font changing, font size changing, etc.

#3  EowynCarter 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM
And oh yeah, Flash baby. Flash baby. Flash baby. I can't get tired of saying that to all my Apple diehard
Even adobe agrees that flash on mobile device is a bad idea, they ditched it. And while not an apple fan, i'm definitivly glad for that ! Die flash ! die !

I would advise installing mantano, best android e-reading app

#4  sunnypatch 12-29-2011, 09:11 AM
i have a asus transfomer tablet,,, can someone help me an tell me how to download books on it,,,, hopefully without usin my credit card, can i use kobo gift cards, or chapters gift cards??? someone help me please!!!!!!!

#5  Dr. Drib 12-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Quote sunnypatch
i have a asus transfomer tablet,,, can someone help me an tell me how to download books on it,,,, hopefully without usin my credit card, can i use kobo gift cards, or chapters gift cards??? someone help me please!!!!!!!

Calm down, grasshopper.

Hopefully, someone will come along to give you some advice.

Be patient.

Don
(Moderator)

#6  afv011 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Quote gstephen70
Just goes to show, Asus Transformer, and the soon to be released Asus Prime, are actually better than the iPad2. I love it as a tablet, she loves it for the media it plays without having to convert every d**n thing into either mp4 or some other obscure format. And oh yeah, Flash baby.
Glad you saw the light. Enjoy "your" Transformer.

#7  wdi 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Yes the Transformer makes for a good e-reader.

But I am confused by the OP's comment about font sizes. I am not having any trouble changing font sizes using Kindle and Aldiko apps (mine came with Kindle pre-installed, I grabbed Aldiko and Kobo off the app store). I did notice this problem with a book in Kobo, but I just assumed that it was just that book. I guess I will have to try another one now.

Getting books onto the Transformer can be as easy as registering your account within a given app. If you are OK with reading from the app that corresponds with where you are purchasing your books, then you are good to go.

Getting books between apps, or from Calibre into a particular app requires more effort. You have to disconnect the USB end of the charging cable from the wall wart, and then connect it to your PC. Then use Windows Explorer (assuming not a Mac) to find the folders each app is using, and drag and drop them from the Calibre folder.

On a side note, I got my Transformer as a Black Friday special while waiting for my pre-ordered Kindle Touch and Fire to arrive. I love the Touch, but between the two Android tabs, I prefer the Transformer so the Fire is going back.

#8  afv011 12-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Quote wdi
Getting books between apps, or from Calibre into a particular app requires more effort. You have to disconnect the USB end of the charging cable from the wall wart, and then connect it to your PC. Then use Windows Explorer (assuming not a Mac) to find the folders each app is using, and drag and drop them from the Calibre folder.
Not at all. Install the free AirDroid app from the market and sideload your books from your PC, without any cables involved.

#9  wdi 12-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Good point afv011. I will have to give AirDroid a try. Thanks!

#10  Sweetpea 01-03-2012, 05:44 AM
Quote wdi

On a side note, I got my Transformer as a Black Friday special while waiting for my pre-ordered Kindle Touch and Fire to arrive. I love the Touch, but between the two Android tabs, I prefer the Transformer so the Fire is going back.
Do you have the tablet on power always?? I only charge at night, if the battery is getting flat, that is.

Also, does the Transformer give a drive letter when connected to a pc? If so, you can use Calibre's "connect to folder" function. I use it to put my various formats on my BBMini, each format in its own folder.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register