Mobileread
Dictionary FAQ
#11  PoP 10-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Counting from the "MOBI" character string at offset 16 and adding 76 one finds 3 fields of 4 bytes each in your attached screen capture:
at offset 92 x'0009' this is the language the book is written into (english),
at offset 96 x'0009', for dictionaries this is the language you are translating from (english) and,
at offset 100 x'0009' the language you are translating to (english) meaning, I guess, this is not a translation but a definition dictionary.

#12  yaodis 10-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Quote PoP
Counting from the "MOBI" character string at offset 16 and adding 76 one finds 3 fields of 4 bytes each in your attached screen capture:
at offset 92 x'0009' this is the language the book is written into (english),
at offset 96 x'0009', for dictionaries this is the language you are translating from (english) and,
at offset 100 x'0009' the language you are translating to (english) meaning, I guess, this is not a translation but a definition dictionary.
thank you very much. I succeed understand this wiki said http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI#MOBI_Header and I also found why '09' meaning English, because it's Locale IDs Assigned by Microsoft, find more at this

#13  Komo 11-04-2011, 05:46 AM
Quote stehk

Q: Where can I find dictionaries to buy/download for free
Most commercial dictionaries are drm protected and made for the old mobipocket reader (amazon bought mobipocket, used their software for the kindle and stopped developement on mobipocket).
So one of the best sources still is www.mobipocket.com keep in mind that you have to de-drm all books from that page (but still the best german to english/italian/spanish/french and vice-versa dicts- ). And of course the obvious www.amazon.com.

I am looking for a german->spanish dictionary for kindle, but Amazon does not have any in the list of "default dictionaries".

From all the comments above, I believe that I can buy the dictionary from mobipocket, perhaps I have to edit some data with Calibre, and then I can do instant lookup in the dictionary when I am reading a german book.

¿Did I understand correctly?

#14  Doitsu 11-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Quote Komo
From all the comments above, I believe that I can buy the dictionary from mobipocket, perhaps I have to edit some data with Calibre, and then I can do instant lookup in the dictionary when I am reading a german book. ¿Did I understand correctly?
As long as the Mobipocket dictionary uses only Latin characters, it will work as a Kindle lookup dictionary. German definitely works, so does Spanish.
All you have to do is remove the DRM. No further editing with Calibre is required. However, some advanced Mobipocket features such as fuzzy searches are not supported by the Kindle.

#15  Komo 11-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Doitsu,

thanks a lot.

#16  antheawood 01-12-2012, 01:24 PM
I did just this on my original Kindle 3 now I have a new Kindle 3 and it looks like this setting is not an option any more. Is this true or am I missing something?

Q: How does the kindle decide which dictionary to use
A: You can change the primary dictionary under menu -> settings -> menu -> change primary dictionary. This dictionary will be used for every book, with one exception:

#17  Doitsu 01-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Quote antheawood
I did just this on my original Kindle 3 now I have a new Kindle 3 and it looks like this setting is not an option any more.
What is your exact problem?

A) The Kindle doesn't display a dictionary definition, even though the entry exists in the dictionary.

or

B) The Kindle displays definitions, but doesn't use the right dictionary.

I occasionally encountered problem A when I restored the Kindle documents folder after a firmware update or when I copied a new dictionary and lots of other books to the Kindle at the same time, because the Kindle needs to some time to index the books and the dictionary. (To see the indexing status, press the home key, then press the '.' key and click the right arrow key to select search my items.)

If you have problem B, make sure that your ebooks have the correct language codes and that your home-made dictionaries have the correct input language code (many of them don't).

If all else fails restart the Kindle.

#18  grasida 01-15-2012, 09:49 AM
So I recently bought a Kindle Touch and am trying to get it to work with Chinese dictionaries. I've gotten to the point where I can use one dictionary to go from English to Chinese and another dictionary to go from Chinese to English, but I can't do instant lookup from a Chinese ebook. Apparently Duokan can do this, but Duokan doesn't work on the Kindle Touch. Does that mean I'm just out of luck? When I do the instant search with a Chinese dictionary as default, it just tells me there are no results. This is with both the ebook and the dictionary set as being in English. The only thing I can think to do is to convert them to Chinese, but I can't make Caliber convert the dictionary and the Mobi2Mobi GUI doesn't have Chinese as a selectable language. Can anyone offer any ideas?

#19  Doitsu 01-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote grasida
I've gotten to the point where I can use one dictionary to go from English to Chinese and another dictionary to go from Chinese to English, but I can't do instant lookup from a Chinese ebook.
The word lookup used to only work with languages that use the Latin alphabet, however, with latest firmware updates Kindle 3 and higher support non-Latin language lookup dictionaries.

Quote grasida
Apparently Duokan can do this, but Duokan doesn't work on the Kindle Touch.
It appears that the Duokan developers are working on versions for K4s. They released a K4NT version this week and I wouldn't be surprised if they followed up with versions for other Kindles.

Resources For Kindle – Kindle 资源收集 offers free Chinese-English dictionaries for download, but I don't know if they work on the Kindle Touch.

#20  intangible 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Quote stehk
Apparently there are a lot of problems with the dictionary support on the kindle fire and the k4s. This FAQ is not valid for them.
Though there is no support for add-on default dictionaries on the Fire, I'm not aware of any particular problems with dictionary support on K4. Has anyone run into problems? I am aware of one K2/K3 bug with looking up certain Spanish accented words that is actually fixed on K4 and Kindle Touch.

[Edit promotion - moderator]

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register